Problem using default sounds after using VST plug ins.

Ed Brown

Question

Hi, I am new to Cakewalk and DAWs in general so please forgive me if I don't get my terminology right!

For the piece I'm working on I started by making a basic drum track using the "standard set" built into Cakewalk. I then created some tracks with BBC Symphony Orchestra plug in and other tracks with Ujam Virtual Guitarist. All was going fine until I wanted to create a new instrument track using Cakewalk default sounds (ie "standard set or any of the other presets". ) When I try a note on the piano roll I get a very loud bang, the VU meter on that track and the master hits the roof and stays there til I pull the faders down.  If I try again I get a small blue spinning circle and my computer crashes out of Cakewalk to my desktop screen. However I dont have a problem creating new instrument tracks if I use one of the afore mentioned plug ins.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Cheers,

Ed.

4 answers to this question

You have to be a bit more specific than "standard set", as no such thing adhering to that nomenclature really exists.

Are you referring to the TTS-1 or the SI Drums, or a General MIDI set of some sort?

Please be aware that the TTS-1 is a DXi instrument, not VSTi, and is multitimbral, so you can get up to 16 instrument voices from one instantiation.

SI-Drums are VSTi and can have multiple instances hosted in the DAW simultaneously.

• Like 1

The TTS-1 will crash if added to a project afterwards. It seems fine as the first thing added but as said it is an old unsupported instrument. 
It’s drum set is pretty terrible anyway so use the SI drums which are actually very good if you tweak them a bit. 
Another one I like is the free Steven Slate drums.