Stuck notes when editing during playback

Thomas Happ

This is a problem I get with U-he Diva but I've occasionally gotten it with other  plugins.  Basically if I am playing back while creating and dragging around notes (I often am looping over a couple of measures while I do this, trying to find the right sound) it often seems to never receive the "note end" event and I have to stop playing in order to keep them from playing.  It's very annoying.  Does anyone know a workaround?

If you drag a note and the note end control is dragged past the loop end point, the note won't end.
The only workaround I can think of is don't do it.
Someone else may have better ideas, but your post has been here for over 2 days and I'm the first to respond, with a 'don't do it' post. It looks like no one else has tried it before. Sorry. Maybe temporarily shorten the note?

Well I'm not dragging the note past the end of the loop point, but I'm dragging them while the playback is currently looping.  This happens with any note size, though usually I'm using 1/16th - 1/4 notes.

Or are you saying that if I drag the note *while* the current transport time loops?  Because cakewalk plays the note as a preview, and then before I let go of the mouse, the cursor goes past the loop end, and forgets to clear it once I release the mouse click?  In that case it would be solved if I could disable the feature where it previews a note when you click or create a new note, but I don't think there is a way to do that.

I just had it happen to another track while editing a completely separate track.  So I guess it has nothing to do with *what* I'm dragging or messing with, just as long as I'm dragging something.  It says my engine load is only 15% and the performance bars on the top are nowhere near peak, but I'm not sure that is accurate given how far multithreaded CPUs have advanced since that UI was written.

1 hour ago, John Vere said:

Yep. Sure fire way to make it happen.  During playback your CPU is distracted and busy. Pretty easy for it to miss a 1,000 bits of info that happens when you drag midi blobs around.