Puremagnetik Flash Sale - 88% OFF

PavlovsCat

I've listened to a bunch of demos from this dev and even bought a thing or two. Honestly, you might as well literally just burn your money. Everything I've tried and heard is sampled badly and scripted badly to a point where I'd call it unusable even in a sketch or demo context.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, jngnz said:

I've listened to a bunch of demos from this dev and even bought a thing or two. Honestly, you might as well literally just burn your money. Everything I've tried and heard is sampled badly and scripted badly to a point where I'd call it unusable even in a sketch or demo context.

I have a bunch of their libraries I bought many years ago (they've been around at least 15+ years). The libraries aren't detailed, and candidly, I don't use them very much, but I didn't think they were bad quality or I wouldn't have shared them.  It'd be interesting to get a number of points of view. 

Going back a decade or more, over at KVR where I discovered Puremagnetik,  there were lots of users there, including some developers  I know. As far as scripting,  these are pretty old libraries, but synth libraries have very little scripting. What are the specific kinds of problems you've encountered with the scripting and  the specific reasons why you feel they're badly sampled? 

I'm pretty busy the next couple of days, but I will take a hard look at my Puremagnetik libraries-- I bought most of them over a decade ago -- this week. I'm guessing if you're seeing scripting issues, could it be because the scripts were written for a much earlier version of KONTAKT? I certainly don't wouldn't want to share anything that's as bad as what you're describing and that hasn't been my experience with Puremagnetik, however,  I haven't used the libraries with the most recent version of KONTAKT  and I own maybe a dozen of their libraries,  not this bundle nor many others. 

Edited by PavlovsCat

These guys are influencers, so I take every influencer "review" with a grain of salt. But I seriously doubt they'd give a favorably review to a developer that's total trash. From searches, a number of folks at KVR have good things to say about Puremagnetik in recent years. 

https://macprovideo.com/article/ableton-live/review-puremagnetik-retro-synths

In addition to the folks at KVR, this thread,  led by a recording pro pianist, praises Micah Frank's work (the developer behind Puremagnetik) and some of the regulars join in with praise. 

https://vi-control.net/community/threads/puremagnetik-fx-plugin-suite.106534/

Edited by PavlovsCat

I don't really care for synth romplers, so I haven't tried those. I own a sitar of theirs and I think a double bass and a rhodes or wurli. Can't remember because all of it is honestly so bad it didn't even make its way onto my backup drive.

Anyway, to me all of them don't even remotely sound like a real instrument. That's really it. There are no script "issues", there's just no detail like sampled frets or key sounds or whatever (AFAIR, anyway). They're just romplers. Not that I expect a detailed instrument at these trash bin prices, but I guess I generally just don't see the point of anything that isn't high quality.

I am assuming a lot of the positive things people have to say is based around being "good for the price". To me, there's no such thing. Something is either good or it isn't. If people see value in this kind of stuff, knock yourselves out. But even if we're talking super low budget, there's much better value out there: Sampletekk, Sonic Zest, even some free libraries like in your giant thread. I know I've regretted even small purchases like this, because a waste of any amount of money is still a waste of money.

17 minutes ago, jngnz said:

I don't really care for synth romplers, so I haven't tried those. I own a sitar of theirs and I think a double bass and a rhodes or wurli. Can't remember because all of it is honestly so bad it didn't even make its way onto my backup drive.

Anyway, to me all of them don't even remotely sound like a real instrument. That's really it. There are no script "issues", there's just no detail like sampled frets or key sounds or whatever (AFAIR, anyway). They're just romplers. Not that I expect a detailed instrument at these trash bin prices, but I guess I generally just don't see the point of anything that isn't high quality.

I am assuming a lot of the positive things people have to say is based around being "good for the price". To me, there's no such thing. Something is either good or it isn't. If people see value in this kind of stuff, knock yourselves out. But even if we're talking super low budget, there's much better value out there: Sampletekk, Sonic Zest, even some free libraries like in your giant thread. I know I've regretted even small purchases like this, because a waste of any amount of money is still a waste of money.

Thanks for the reply. 

Well, your earlier response makes more sense to me now. I definitely wouldn't turn to Puremagnetik for sample libraries of acoustic instruments,  electric pianos,  organ or anything beyond synths,  as that's really not their forte and they don't make highly detailed AKA deep sampled highly scripted libraries and that's what I want in those instances. Their wheelhouse (area of expertise) is electronic sounds, mainly samples of Micah’s synth patches. Detail isn't really necessary for those, IMO. So, I suppose I understand more about your disappointment if your expectations was for detailed sample libraries of acoustic instruments,  I would never turn to Puremagnetik for that. Where I do find them worthwhile is for synth sounds.

They have a couple of Mellotron libraries I really enjoy too (I'm a huge tron fan). But I also wouldn't turn to them for electric pianos, as those are really dependent on dynamics and that is an area where I think detailed sampling is very important. I do have a Wurli sample library from Puremagnetik I bought maybe 12 years ago. Okay, to be more specific,  I bought it but later deleted their Wurli library because it lacks the kind of detail I want in a Wurli or any electric piano library. But their tron library and various synth patch libraries seem solid to me. But I don't use a lot of synth sounds in my productions as I tend to stick with piano, organ,  guitar,  bass, drums, percussion and other acoustic instruments often with a tron. 

Edited by PavlovsCat