True mono external inserts

norfolkmastering

I know this has been raised many times before but with the promise of new features for the reborn Sonar, isn't it about time that the external insert system was given a complete overhaul?

I use a lot of analogue gear on my tracks during mixdown and it's really bad that when I allocate a 'mono' port to the send, then the other half of the port is no longer available for use in a different insert.  No other professional DAW has this limitation.

Not sure how to start a poll on this so maybe someone could help with that?

And on the topic of getting audio out of the track to feed analogue effects gear, can I also add to the wish list:

1. The ability to create an external insert with only the send configured.  Why?  This would allow external gear to be fed completely clean, so I mean before any other FX in the chain.  It almost works at the moment.  The insert send meter shows audio 'flowing' but no audio actually emerges from the allocated port.

2. The ability to store an External Insert as part of an FX Chain Preset.  You can do this 'by the back door' at the moment using 'Convert FX Rack to FX Chain' but when you load this (let's say in another project), then Cakewalk refuses to play.  It is clearly broken!

So let's see if we can get the guys at Cakewalk to commit to a full update of the External Insert system during the first full phase of Sonar development.

• Great Idea 1