Focal Alpha 80 Evo vs. Kali Audio IN-8 V2 - Contacted Kali and their reply

LittleStudios

Just curious if anyone has had any experience with either of these monitors.  I hear great things about the Kali monitors, but I have my doubts / suspicions.  How are they able to deliver a 3-way monitor at such a low cost?  They must be cutting corners somewhere.  Where I stand, the $200 difference when spending this amount isn't a consideration.  I'm more interested in sound quality, build quality and component quality.

***UPDATE - SEE BELOW***

Edited by LittleStudios

I contacted Kali Audio to see how confident and honest about their product they would be.  Below you'll find my email to them, followed by their response.

My email:

Hello,

I'm currently in the market for new studio monitors.  I've been using my current pair of Event TR-8 for over twenty years.  Not only is sound quality important to me, component quality, build quality and reliability are just as important to me.  I've been looking at the Kali Audio IN-8 V2 (second wave) and have read good things.  The surprisingly low price for a 3-way monitor raises some concerns as to how Kali Audio has managed to keep the cost down.  I've also been looking at the Focal Alpha 80 EVO.  Both, the IN-8 V2 and Focal Alpha 80 EVO are within my budget.  I don't live near a music store that carries either brand.  I would have to order the monitors and possibly return them if I'm not pleased, which is a hassle.

Why should I choose the Kali Audio IN-8 V2 over the Focal Alpha 80 EVO, remembering that budget is NOT an issue?

Regards,

Chris

Their response (Nate Baglyos was assigned my email request, his position at Kali Audio is Director of Sales and Marketing:

Hi Chris,

Good questions!

So, the Focal definitely has higher quality components. And this isn't just the acoustic stuff, the materials they use for panels and finishes are NICE. They spend a lot of money on all that, and it is well reflected in the look and feel of the speaker. We've used decidedly less expensive materials to keep the pricepoint lower.

I would argue that the sound of the IN-8 is better. They are more accurate overall, display better directivity characteristics, and don't suffer from some of the issues that an undamped metal dome present.

If your was purely acoustic performance, I would say the IN-8s is the clear choice. Given that you're emphasizing component and build quality and budget is no concern, it's a bit muddier. I would suggest asking for opinions from people who have used both. 

I'm not sure what I want to take from this response.  I pretty much figured that less expensive materials was one way they cut cost.  I guess I was hoping for them to really hammer home that the build quality of the Kali's was top notch.

I've read multiple reviews of the Kali's and they've all had really nice things to say about the sound quality.  I only remember one review where they commented on the build quality, like the molded plastic face wasn't aligned to the MDF box well and that your expectations should reflect the price point.

Thoughts?

Edited by LittleStudios

• LittleStudios changed the title to Focal Alpha 80 Evo vs. Kali Audio IN-8 V2 - Contacted Kali and their reply

Near 20 years ago, when I was searching for my perfect set of near-field monitors, I started on the lowest end of my budget with that I though might get the job done and got a demo pair from Vintage King.  Sending back a couple sets of demo monitors is a lot less hassle than ending up with monitors that you don't love.  And honestly, even if you can hear them in a local store, it's not the same as spending a couple weeks with them in your own space.

16 minutes ago, HOOK said:

Near 20 years ago, when I was searching for my perfect set of near-field monitors, I started on the lowest end of my budget with that I though might get the job done and got a demo pair from Vintage King.  Sending back a couple sets of demo monitors is a lot less hassle than ending up with monitors that you don't love.  And honestly, even if you can hear them in a local store, it's not the same as spending a couple weeks with them in your own space.

I added the part about returning it being a hassle as my feeble attempt at inciting Kali to really brag about how good their product is.  Trust me, I will be listening to the monitors in my studio.  If they are not a good fit, they go back.

10 minutes ago, HOOK said:

The last person I want bragging about a product is the marketing manager...lol.  I'm pretty surprised he didn't push harder.

LOL, so true.  I'm just very suspicious about how they're able to manufacture and sell a 3-way monitor for as cheap as they do.  It would have been nice to read something like, "Sure we use less expensive materials, but our build quality, reliability and manufacturing process are really top notch."

Edited by LittleStudios