MIDI Input and Output Devices

Andrew Greig

Question

Running version 2023.09 Build 062, 64 bit. Under Preferences/MIDI/Devices, Cakewalk is not recognising the native Windows Microsoft GS Wavetable. It is not possible to assign instruments in Preferences/MIDI/Instruments either. All MIDI tracks are unusable (unless I use an external DI and an external keyoard). How do I get Cakewalk to find Microsoft GS Wavetable again?

Screenshot 2023-10-13 200530.png

Screenshot 2023-10-13 155853.png

6 answers to this question

50 minutes ago, Andrew Greig said:

Running version 2023.09 Build 062, 64 bit. Under Preferences/MIDI/Devices, Cakewalk is not recognising the native Windows Microsoft GS Wavetable. It is not possible to assign instruments in Preferences/MIDI/Instruments either. All MIDI tracks are unusable (unless I use an external DI and an external keyoard). How do I get Cakewalk to find Microsoft GS Wavetable again?

Benefit of the doubt: You might not know that we can search the forum for specific sequences of words by putting them in quotation marks when doing forum searches.   So, searching for "Microsoft GS Wavetable" with the scope set to "Everywhere" will bring up other recent discussions of this issue.

Here ya go: https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/search/&q="Microsoft GS Wavetable"&quick=1

Edited by User 905133
to add a search link

2 hours ago, Andrew Greig said:

All MIDI tracks are unusable (unless I use an external DI and an external keyoard).

If that is indeed happening, then you are experiencing other problems. Cakewalk will play MIDI tracks on any virtual synth, including the supplied TTS-1. No external drivers or instruments are needed for that functionality, other than of course a compatible functioning system and sound device. -As mentioned in other comments here - research the many other recent posts on the subject here if you need more information on your last question, but the GS Wavetable synth is no longer supported, nor does it need to be.

Edited by JnTuneTech

It’s  funny to me. Since the removal of that POS from the midi  device list last update. we are all of a sudden aware that  possibly hundreds of people have been actually been using it.

It makes sense if your not one to read the manual or watch tutorials then it will be what you used to get using the default settings.  
So now those hundreds of people will just have to actually learn how Cakewalk uses VST instruments.  

Shhh! Don’t tell them, it’s a secret.