Install Cakewalk to different Drive

Skypetical C

Question

3 answers to this question

7 hours ago, Skypetical C said:

I am trying to install cakewalk, but I have limited space on my SSD so I am trying to install it on my Hard Drive but there is no option to do so.

If you are worried about the 250 mb space the core Cakewalk program files take, then it’s time to upgrade your system drive.

• Like 1

You can move the whole Cakewalk program directory anywhere you want after installation and create a directory junction to it. I did this to achieve the opposite: moving it from a spinning O/S drive to an SSD I added later.

For example if moving from Program Files on C  to Program Files on K:,  after you've cut-pasted or drag-moved the directory (not copied; it needs to be gone from the original location in order to make  the junction), open a command prompt 'as administrator' and enter:

mklink /j "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk" "K:\Program Files\Cakewalk"

That's all there is to it. You'll see what looks like (and works like) a standard shortcut in  C:\Program Files but as far as Windows is concerned, nothing has changed.

If the drive is so tight that you can't even get  CbB installed, you can move some other apps using directory junctions first, or consider moving My Documents;  Windows has a separate feature that allows that:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/configuration-of-the-my-documents-folder-dfd9a90d-8f80-18d6-e7cc-f1566fc3b10b#:

Edited by David Baay
  • Like 1