Strange flickering of mouse cursor

Michael Vogel

Randomly (on my Win 11 pro PC, specs in signature) my mouse cursor starts to flicker at the bottom centre of the screen and becomes immovable by any means. I have to turn off the PC to clear it, on reboot all is fine until the next time.

I’ve tried updating graphics drivers, mouse drivers, though it doesn’t seem to matter whether I use any of 2 different mice or a trackball. All drivers updated but nothing seems to prevent this weird flickering from occurring. There’s no overheating involved. I’ve tried changing out ram sticks but nothing I’ve done eliminates the problem, as eventually sometime during a session, the cursor  will just start to flicker.

Before I upgraded to Win 11 Pro x64 this happened on the same machine running Win 10 Pro x64.

Any ideas I could explore?

Edited by Michael Vogel

• 3 weeks later...

While I’m online at times, I only use the pc for music so never visit any dodgy sites. I don’t use the pc for emails so no bad links to click.

I have an MS wireless keyboard and mouse combo  as well as a wireless trackball.

I get the flickering cursor in the exact same spot when it happens the bottom centre of screen.

I have the latest drivers for the trackball and whatever the most recent graphics drivers though it’s onboard graphic with my mobo.

its not predictable either. I’m thinking the only solution might be a complete rebuild but it seems so much overkill. Unless it fixes the problem of course.

I’ll explore the malware possibility. Thanks for the suggestions thus far.

Edited by Michael Vogel

Are you using USB 3.0 devices such as thumb drives? If so...

High-frequency noise generated by USB 3.0 devices may affect devices using the 2.4 GHz band, such as the following

• Wireless LAN (Wi-Fi) IEEE 802.11b/g/n
  • Bluetooth
  • 2.4 GHz wireless peripherals (mouse, keyboard, etc.)

The solution to this is, for example...

• Separate the USB 3.0 port from the receiver
  • Use a USB extension cable to separate the USB 3.0 port from the USB 2.0 connector
  • Replace with a shielded device to reduce noise
  • Connect the receiver to the USB 2.0 port