No sound after 2023 09 update

Cwatersuk

Question

Cakewalk and zoom r24 no sound from speakers or headphones after recent 09 update, all other device work fine with the r24.

All boxes are checked under cakewalk preferences and it worked fine prior to update.  All drivers are up to date on laptop win 11

Sound plays through cakewalk if the r24 is disconnected.  I have vurtual dj and that works fine with r24.

Could someone let me know if there is a fix or work around.

16 answers to this question

Did you check your master bus output? 

If you play a project and the master bus meter is moving then it’s the output is assigned somewhere other than the output your speakers are connected to. 

And just to check. You did download and install the latest Driver and are using ASIO mode. 
https://zoomcorp.com/en/ca/digital-mixer-multi-track-recorders/multi-track-recorders/r24/r24-support/

if you are not dead sure on the set up watch this

https://youtu.be/opDwsC4_llg?si=8VnKyG-S43r08iHu

Edited by JohnnyV

Thanks for the reply 

I have all the upto date drivers from zoom and Microsoft.

Everything worked great until the last update.

The r24 works with all my other software on the same computer.

It seems that cakewalk is not communicating with the r24 even though the preferences have not changed I just installed the update as I have with all previous ones and now it won't play sound, It wil, output sound through the hdmi cable to my tv but that is no good for mixing.

You really need to watch my video I posted above as we should not be talking about HDMI connections  with using Cakewalk in ASIO mode.  ANd did you check your master output. 

ASIO mode is essential to using your mixer.  

I have a Zoom L8 and I'm just in the process of creating a video about using it as an audio interface and I am using the latest update version of Cakewalk.     

Thank johnny

Yes I have watched your videos, and have gone over my settings and everything is as it was before update when it was working fine, have loaded in various projects but zero sound on playback, i have recorded my tyro 5 on an audio track and it recorded but again zero sound o  playback

After the update I did not change any settings as everything was working properly 

My comment regarding the hdmi cable connecting my computer to my tv was to let you know cakewalk was producing sound just not via asio driver but my virtual dj software does produce sound via USB to r24

Hi Mark 

I double checked all of the settings before and after the update and nothing had changed, I loaded up some songs I had recorded pre update that were working with sound and all settings were the same all routing , buses aux tracks etc are as they should be everything is routed to the zoom r24 but no sound laptop has r24 as default line out for audio.

There appears to be a problem with cakewalk sending sound through the r24,  I recorded my keyboard as an audio track not midi and it showed as recorded but when playing bac, no sound, you can see the audio wave and all signs of music playing on cakewalk ui but r24 shows nothing and no sound, will install waveform by traction  to see if it works before buying a new interface

A screenshot of your console view showing the bus section and the hardware outputs might shed some light on things. Nothing has changed in the update that would cause this other than a possible reset to default. Default output from master bus is 1/2 output. If you check this is correct and the master is showing signal then next step is to check the hardware strips on the right of the bus section. It might be hidden drag it into view. The 1/2 Hardware strip should also show meter action. 
If this is all good then it’s a routing issue in the mixer.
Example my Zoom L8 uses channel strip 7 for 1/2 outputs from DAW. 

That’s why I keep asking what the master buss output says. 

Thanks for the reply Johnny

The r24 has 4 sets of input channels  1+2, 3+4, 5+6, 7+8 all checked in preferences.

Under output it has 1+2 asio driver output channel also checked

I have noticed under sync and caching it is set to low latency asio driver I think it has always been this way as I can't change it to r24 asio driver 8 in 2 out don't know if it makes a difference. 

In the track listing for one of my recordings 1 to 4 all outputs are set to master and the master is set to zoom r24 asio driver channel s for stereo as it always has been.

I hope this information helps.

And thank you once again for your assistance it is greatly appreciated 

14 hours ago, Cwatersuk said:

I have noticed under sync and caching it is set to low latency asio driver I think it has always been this way as I can't change it to r24 asio driver 8 in 2 out don't know if it makes a difference. 

Best to rule out all possibilities first. It is covered in the Audio Set up Video but I go over it all anyways.  This is what we call an invasive ASIO driver and you will need to remove it using the REG EDIT app. ( see screen shot) I also posted what my preferences look like just to double check that yours look the same. The devices share a very similar driver. I have a few other audio interfaces and the Motu and Focurite do not take over the Latency adjustment. But I had to remove my Tascam driver from the Reg Edit list as it took over that dialogue. Ultimately only your Zoom device should be listed. 

Important! 

But once again I ask- Do the Master Bus and Hardware bus show meters moving, this is important as then this totally rules out that Cakewalk is not set up and that the issue is a setting in the Mixer or even a faulty USB cable. 

Screenshot (1419).png

Screenshot (1421).png

Screenshot (1422).png

Screenshot (1424).png

Screenshot (1425).png

Edited by JohnnyV

14 hours ago, Cwatersuk said:

under sync and caching it is set to low latency asio driver I think it has always been this way as I can't change it to r24 asio driver 8 in 2 out

I'm pretty sure they need to be the same. I don't know how to change it. Let me check...

4 minutes ago, 57Gregy said:

I'm pretty sure they need to be the same. I don't know how to change it. Let me check...

With invasive drivers you cannot change the dialogue. The other device will show and you can select it but after you hit Apply the invasive driver returns. I was surprised my Tascam invaded the box as it never did this with Motu or Focusrite. But I guess Zooms driver isn't as robust. 

• Like 1

Hi Johnny

the invasive driver is a Microsoft win 11 driver

All my settings are like yours apart from the name, mine is zoom r16_r24 asio drivers from the zoom website

Also using the r24 with other music software and same usb cable works fine with no issues

Hi

I have been having seemingly exactly the same problem. I spent 4 hours today fiddling with the R24 drivers on Windows 11. Here's my experience:

R24 can play audio from windows

R24 appears to be working perfectly in terms of cubase playback. I checked every variable.

R24 does not produce any sound when used as an ASIO device.

I'm very keen to find a solution to this and wondering if anyone else is having a similar experience.

Paul

Once again. First watch my Audio set up video

https://youtu.be/opDwsC4_llg?si=LtDN6nYqggVyDZa2

then the video I just released for the L8. https://youtu.be/56Nmoy-UcRE?si=PU6yzHvcOTK655jP

No guarantee that the ASIO driver for the L8 shares any code from the R24. But the Zoom L8 ASIO driver is a very good driver. I’m into my 5th week using it and it’s a big improvement over my Motu.  

Watch the videos and get back to me if you have further questions.  

On 10/4/2023 at 10:47 AM, Cwatersuk said:

Hi Johnny

the invasive driver is a Microsoft win 11 driver

This is not good. The sync and caching box needs to show your audio interface period. Nothing else. 
If you are using ASIO mode and all the boxes show the Zoom that box needs to as well. I would contact Zoom and get an answer.