Do instrument tracks have the ability to select other outputs on VSTs/Kontakt, or do they have to be split and re-joined

SloHand Solo

Question

This is a tricky one to explain, so bear with me.

1. Add a Kontakt synth track (or equivalent multi-out VST) 
  2. Add multiple instruments/synths to Kontakt and assign them to outs 1/2 --3/4 -- 5/6 etc...
  3. The instrument track doesn't have the ability to change which channels from the Kontakt it should be assigned to.  I have to split the instrument track to show more options, the ability to select the individual Kontakt output channels being one of them.  The ability to select midi channels is there though, so I know how to do that.  I can make the instrument track again after selecting the outputs, but it's annoying.

I'm also having a little trouble when duplicating Kontakt/VST tracks.  It adds a new synth when I duplicate the track, but I really just want the track so I can modify it for the other midi ins and audio outs on the original Kontakt synth.  I have to manually delete these additional Kontakt synths afterwards.  Is there a way to do this that I'm not aware of?

Thx

3 answers to this question

It does require some forethought, as I have not found a smooth/swift way to do it post insertion, but...

If you have any idea how many outputs that you want your Kontakt instance to default to (ie: you can create a default with 8 outputs [4 stereo pairs] and save it as Kontakt-8out for example ) then when you open that VSTi instance using nearly any technique like RMB in the Track View - Header area you can use "Instrument Track Per Output" as such. Tick the box and number of tracks and choose the desired Bus output, you should be good to go.

image.png.4ec466ffbd70bbc4e0a0621d401e557a.png

This can also be done (in a similar way) using any of the 'Insert Instrument' dialogue routes, just different visuals.

Edited by OutrageProductions

3 hours ago, SloHand Solo said:

The instrument track doesn't have the ability to change which channels from the Kontakt it should be assigned to.

Yes, that's right. Selecting the Audio tab of the Instrument track still shows the MIDI ports for Input, not audio ouputs from the synth. You have to split the track to change the audio Input.

3 hours ago, SloHand Solo said:

I duplicate the track, but I really just want the track so I can modify it for the other midi ins and audio outs on the original Kontakt synth.

Manually add MIDI and Audio tracks, assign their outputs and inputs to another channel of the existing synth instance, and Make Instrument Track.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, OutrageProductions said:

It does require some forethought, as I have not found a smooth/swift way to do it post insertion, but...

If you have any idea how many outputs that you want your Kontakt instance to default to (ie: you can create a default with 8 outputs [4 stereo pairs] and save it as Kontakt-8out for example ) then when you open that VSTi instance using nearly any technique like RMB in the Track View - Header area you can use "Instrument Track Per Output" as such. Tick the box and number of tracks and choose the desired Bus output, you should be good to go.

image.png.4ec466ffbd70bbc4e0a0621d401e557a.png

This can also be done (in a similar way) using any of the 'Insert Instrument' dialogue routes, just different visuals.

That's actually what I've been doing, creating 8-channel track templates.  It's just one of things I wasn't sure anyone was aware of.  It's only a minor inconvenience when I add additional outputs to a vst on the fly.