What do I do about my Volt 2 dedicated driver (ASIO) not being compatible with Cakewalk

Tommy Johnston

Question

What do I do about my Volt 2 dedicated driver (ASIO) not being compatible with Cakewalk? Generally speaking I'm fine with using the WASAPI shared driver but now I want to use the Neural Amp Modeler VST3 plugin and it's not working at all in my DAW. I been using the ASIO driver for 2 years now and all of a sudden it's not compatible with Cakewalk. I'm thinking about using Ableton Live 11 Lite (came free with Volt2 interface) but just found out you can only record 16 tracks. Yea, I think I need way more than 16 tracks sometimes. Any advise/ suggestions would be appreciated.

8 answers to this question

OK, you can only use one ASIO device at a time, and I see you have FlexASIO selected. If you deselect that in both recording and playback, you should be able to put ticks in the Volt and get it to be chosen for a start.

I can see the Realtek HD ASIO driver in there, which definitely comes with a warning message that it's incompatible - that driver is actually broken and will cause major issues, so perhaps this somehow got checked and was throwing that error but it seemed like it was coming from Volt?

Try ticking just the Volt stuff and see what that does first :) 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Lord Tim said:

OK, you can only use one ASIO device at a time, and I see you have FlexASIO selected. If you deselect that in both recording and playback, you should be able to put ticks in the Volt and get it to be chosen for a start.

I can see the Realtek HD ASIO driver in there, which definitely comes with a warning message that it's incompatible - that driver is actually broken and will cause major issues, so perhaps this somehow got checked and was throwing that error but it seemed like it was coming from Volt?

Try ticking just the Volt stuff and see what that does first :) 

All issues fixed! I did  a bad install trying to put it on my external hard drive.  This time I put it on my c drive (well most of it) went back to my dedicated volt driver and now everything works great! NAM sounds awesome with Ola Englunds amp model and impulse response. Thanks for your help! Much appreciated!

• Like 2

Cakewalk hasn't changed since November last year so if you're suddenly finding things aren't compatible, it's not a Cakewalk issue as such.

Can you show some screenshots of:

Preferences > Audio > Devices

Preferences > Audio > Driver Settings

Preferences > Audio > Playback and Recording

Let's narrow down what's actually on your system and enabled first to rule that out and then we can work out why this might be happening.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lord Tim said:

Cakewalk hasn't changed since November last year so if you're suddenly finding things aren't compatible, it's not a Cakewalk issue as such.

Can you show some screenshots of:

Preferences > Audio > Devices

Preferences > Audio > Driver Settings

Preferences > Audio > Playback and Recording

Let's narrow down what's actually on your system and enabled first to rule that out and then we can work out why this might be happening.

I installed flexAIO from github to see if that would work and the incompatible popup went away but I still can't get the NAM VST3 to work in my DAW. Thanks for any suggestions/ ides

Screenshot 2023-08-14 232738.png

Screenshot 2023-08-14 232754.png

Screenshot 2023-08-14 232805.png

Screenshot 2023-08-14 232816.png

Screenshot 2023-08-14 232824.png

NAM is damn impressive, that's for sure! All of those new neural modelling plugins are just insane, and Ola has some great sounding models. I believe Leon Todd has a few models as well (he's more of an Axe FX guy but tries out a lot of other stuff), but if you're going high gain modern metal, you can't go too wrong with Ola's models and IRs.

FlexASIO is not necessary and may be harmful.

Unless the factory supplied ASIO driver is defective, there is no reason to look for a different driver.

Having multiple ASIO drivers for the same hardware can confuse a DAW. Installing FlexASIO along with the UA driver puts this machine in this category.

The RealTek ASIO is known to be defective. Should this ever be selected as the ASIO driver, a compatibility warning is issued.

Why the compatibility message appeared then disappeared is likely due to F coming before R before U in the alphabet and the DAWs default driver assignment routine. Although there should probably be a "generic driver" warning associated with FlexASIO too.

• Like 1

Watch this.  funny, first 2 threads  I just read the dudes are having audio issues. This is the best video I have watched that seems to cover everything.  There's a lot of bad advise on the internet about audio systems. 

Edited by Bass Guitar
  • Like 2