RIPX DEEP AUDIO free alterative

acewhistle

Hello peepz,

I happened to stumble this software called "RIPXDEEP AUDIO" where it can separate stems or isolate each instruments of a song.

I would say I am 60% convinced with its usefulness especially in isolating vocals but just like to ask if there are free or less expensive VSTs out there you can recommend that will do the same job before parting away with my hard earned money.

Many thanks,

For just removing vocal or separating instruments, there are many free solutions with complete description which AI/training DB was used.
F.e. https://ultimatevocalremover.com/ https://github.com/facebookresearch/demucs https://github.com/deezer/spleeter

Commercial solutions normally laud in case they have made something completely new and distinct, so if you see just common words about separation, that means inside is one of free algos, may be with a bit tweaked DB, but don't expect significantly different result 😏 F.e. moises at least 3 years ago was using spleeter algo (I just have not found more recent posts, it can be it still use it).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, azslow3 said:

For just removing vocal or separating instruments, there are many free solutions with complete description which AI/training DB was used.
F.e. https://github.com/facebookresearch/demucs https://github.com/deezer/spleeter

Ah, GitHub, the place where the hope that you'll be able to just download a program goes to die.

I still fall for it, though, because I can't resist the temptation of something free. Gave up in this case, like many others. Is there actually a downloadable program there somewhere or is it just code that people can incorporate into their own programs?

1 hour ago, Starship Krupa said:

Ah, GitHub, the place where the hope that you'll be able to just download a program goes to die.

I still fall for it, though, because I can't resist the temptation of something free. Gave up in this case, like many others. Is there actually a downloadable program there somewhere or is it just code that people can incorporate into their own programs?

Any reason you have not started with the first link in the list (UVR)? The one which has an installer? ;)

BTW many project on GitHub have ready to use installers. The place just indicate the project has open source, not that the project is for computer freaks only...

I have mentioned "original" demucs/steeper links because there is detailed information what they really are. I prefer that over descriptions like "brilliant"/"perfect"/"best".

2 minutes ago, azslow3 said:

Any reason you have not started with the first link in the list (UVR)? The one which has an installer? ;)

I did try there and it says it's a "vocal  remover." I'm interested in instrument isolation. Specifically, I want to be able to hear nothing but the vocal sometimes for the purpose of figuring out lyrics. Other instruments, too.

I'm familiar with GitHub and yes, I know that (theoretically at least), many projects have ready to use installers. Trying to figure out whether or where a project has pre-compiled binaries with or without installers is the needle-in-a-haystack proposition.

GitHub has much in common with Linux and REAPER, in my mind. You don't have to be a programming freak to navigate them, but programming freaks have an easier time with them (and can't understand why other people don't😄).

I've had people tell me before that GitHub's function isn't to be a place where you download programs, and hey, I have to agree that they have done a great job of keeping to that, but then why do people post GitHub links as a way to obtain this or that program?

I'm not going to compile binaries myself. The last time I did that was almost 10 years ago when I decided to see if I could build Audacity on Windows with ASIO support (I was eventually successful after a few days hacking at it, although I realized that if I wanted to stay current on Audacity-with-ASIO, I'd have to build it again every time Audacity came out with a new release). I'd also rather not have to install a script interpreter on my computer.

3 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I did try there and it says it's a "vocal  remover." I'm interested in instrument isolation. Specifically, I want to be able to hear nothing but the vocal sometimes for the purpose of figuring out lyrics. Other instruments, too.

And this site is about Cakewalk. And after all these years, I still have no cakes from them... And I don't know where should I walk... 🤪

"Ultimate Vocal Remover" can remove vocal, but that does not mean it can't remove the rest/split into several tracks/etc. BTW by default it creates 2 tracks, one with vocals only and one with the rest...

I'm familiar with GitHub and yes, I know that (theoretically at least), many projects have ready to use installers. Trying to figure out whether or where a project has pre-compiled binaries with or without installers is the needle-in-a-haystack proposition.

Yes, that required READING. Sure, who is RTFM these days...

GitHub has much in common with Linux and REAPER, in my mind. You don't have to be a programming freak to navigate them, but programming freaks have an easier time with them (and can't understand why other people don't😄).

Yes. Because programming freaks realize faster that without RTFM programs don't do what they want... Wait... there is ChatGPT4 now! It can write programs without asking the user to read any documentation first ;) Well, just last week a college has asked me to "fix" his JS code. The code was looking "modern", but a kind of strange. After an hour I have re-written almost everything so it did what it had to. Only then I have asked him "how you have written that code?". The answer was... "I have asked ChatGPT...".

I've had people tell me before that GitHub's function isn't to be a place where you download programs, and hey, I have to agree that they have done a great job of keeping to that, but then why do people post GitHub links as a way to obtain this or that program?

GitHub is a platform for open source projects. It is not forcing providing binaries and installers, but many people do (in fact GitHub has build-in feature to auto-recompile on changes). There is source code, documentation, place to publish issues (and a possibility to link version in which the problem is fixes) any more.
Website + Forum + download area + developers repository + issues tracker "all in one" for open source projects. For commercial projects outside GitHub you just don't see developers repository and issues tracker, but they are exist and they look similar.
BTW Cakewalk control surfaces API and binaries are also on GitHub.

• Haha 1

Remember to breathe, eh?

My bad, I guess. I went to a site for a program called Ultimate Vocal Remover, where the only description of what the program does is "The best vocal remover application on the internet...." and no hints that it does anything else. I came away with the impression that what it did was....remove vocals. I stand corrected.

GitHub....GitHub is an awesome platform, we owe it much for the service it provides programmers for sharing code.....when I suggest that maybe programmers who do supply precompiled executables with their projects could make the download links more prominent, some folks push back as if I had insulted their grandma's cooking.

Not only do I RTFM, in some cases I have written TFM, I have created build systems in my home just for fun, I am no stranger to having to put effort into understanding things. What I don't like is having to put needless effort into hunting for things on a website.

If someone's trying to sell or, bless their heart, give away a program and there's not something near the top telling me how to purchase/download it, that creates needless effort.

With the other 2 sites you posted, I spent about 15 minutes on each of them hunting for whether and where I could download compiled binaries, or whether the project was a Python script or what. Then I had to admit defeat. Are there programs there that one may download and run?

I've seen GitHub repositories that were well-organized and had reasonably prominent links to precompiled binaries (if they existed), so I know it can be done.

On GitHub you can access any version of the project. The instructions/links/docs can be version dependent. It is in fact possible to organize more "noob friendly" pages, but that takes time/effort and for free software that is problematic (there is no "sales", so no revenue for "good website"). Typically the instructions are in README.md, which is displayed automatically after top level tree (I also wish GitHub  collapse  it by default, so the file is really "on top").

But then you need to "recognize" how to install. You probable already know windows/apple/android common icons, so these you perceive as "easy to find".

In case of spleeter there is "pypi package" icon, at the very top of the file, so "as top as you can get" in default GitHub infrastructure ;)

And the installation is as simple as "pip install spleeter", it does the rest on its own (till there are some problems in particular version, particular architecture, etc.).

If you don't have "google playstore", the link to it will not help. The same with pip. And there is no instructions how to get any of them, it is assumed you have it (there is no "please insert Windows installation media... " in Cakewalk documentation, right? )

Why there is no "Windows installer" here? Because this project is platform agnostic, as most command line Python projects. They think in terms of "running in container" (docker icon) or "running in current python environment" (pypi icon). Windows / Linux / Apple is irrelevant.

About "Download".  As with Android apps, python projects are normally "installed", not "downloaded". Logically there is no "download" link (except for the source...).

PS. demucs can be installed by  "pip install demucs". They have not put it on top, but mention that later in README (tip: search the world "install").