Vertical space between tracks and time ruler reducable?

MainMix

Question

Dear Cakewalk community,

I am a long time Cakewalk user and normally working on a 32" 2K display in my home studio.
Now I am traveling and using CbB on a notebook with a 16" display for the first time.

What didn't bother me on the big screen but does now is that the hidden "Arranger track", "Tempo track" and "Video track" consume a lot of vertical space between the tracks and time ruler area (attached pic 1).

This space is taken by the "slider bars" (attached pic 2).

However at least the tempo track and the arranger track can be shown/hidden by the "view" menu and keyboard shortcuts, so the slider bars are actually not needed if the areas are hidden (attached pic 3).

Is there a way to hide the slider bars completely so the tracks area gets nearer to the time ruler (like in older CbB or Sonar) ?

Best regards,
MainMix

CbB vertical space wasted.png

CbB vertical space wasted - sliders.png

CbB vertical space wasted - View settings.png

9 answers to this question

IIRC, the wide space result was talked about when it first happened. I don't recall any setting being added to control the width of section dividers for the new track types.  Maybe someone else knows?   It seems to me that if they were too thin, grabbing the dividers would be a problem.

The options to show the new track types in the Track Menu > Views submenu is handy, but I suspect many people prefer using a mouse to drag them open.

I haven't done this, but I suppose it might be possible to switch custom Workspaces to have any number of the three open or closed.** Might even be possible on a project by project basis with screen shots.

**UPDATE: I did a quick tweak to my current Workspace to show all the (ATV Tracks).  I don't recommend this method. It is quicker for me to just drag them open and closed than to wait for the Workspace to change. YMMV.

Edited by User 905133
(2) to add an update;(1) fixed misspelling (two --> too)

Yeah, I don't believe this is possible to change at this point. Those dividers are problematic anyway, IMO - there's really no indication anything is there in the first place and it just feels like wasted space for no reason.

The new vector based UI that's planned for Cakewalk Sonar might allow it, though? If nothing else, if the display size is adaptable and resizable, it will better fit into a smaller screen.

• Thanks 1

An easy way to gain space up there is use the Short cut C. To hid the control bar. You will be surprised at what gets done without it.  And when you need it just press C again. 
Working on laptops I find keyboard shortcuts are more important. 
Especially D for multi dock 

I made a video about using 1 screen 

Edited by JohnnyV
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

Thanks so much for your replys. I am also looking forward to the new vector based GUI. The SHIFT+C for collapsing the toolbar is great! Thanks to @Lord Tim for pointing out 👍 - never used that before, but now comes in very handy on a small screen.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2023 at 10:49 AM, JohnnyV said:

An easy way to gain space up there is use the Short cut C. To hid the control bar. You will be surprised at what gets done without it.  And when you need it just press C again. 

On 8/2/2023 at 11:07 AM, Lord Tim said:

Or if you still need it there, SHIFT+C will minimise it, so you still get a bar across the top but hovering over each item will display the module.

For several years I have been using  a floating control bar.  I have it just with the modules I use most, so it's not too long.  Super easy to slide around, even onto Monitor 2 temporarily and then back. I first did this when I was marking up some oral history tapes, then used it for some staff input/editing projects.  It soon became like second nature to move it around as needed.  I could never go back to a docked, full width control bar.

This might or might not work for you; depends on your individual needs/workflows and whether or not you feel comfortable with moving it around on your desktop. Just mentioning it as another option.   

• Like 1

17 hours ago, User 905133 said:

For several years I have been using  a floating control bar.  I have it just with the modules I use most, so it's not too long.  Super easy to slide around, even onto Monitor 2 temporarily and then back. I first did this when I was marking up some oral history tapes, then used it for some staff input/editing projects.  It soon became like second nature to move it around as needed.  I could never go back to a docked, full width control bar.

This might or might not work for you; depends on your individual needs/workflows and whether or not you feel comfortable with moving it around on your desktop. Just mentioning it as another option.   

This is how Cubase works for the transport. I could never get used to it always being in my way.