Free and Cheap- Sampleson

John Vere

I had one small issue with  getting the email link for the free Wursy plug in so I inquired and Lucia got back to me in less than a half hour with a very nice reply telling me how important his customers are and any feedback is more than welcome. I like this company. I don't think I've spent more than $40 so far. 

I also have the Colla B organ which they made and is a freebie found on Plugins 4 free.  What I really like is most of these can be used as stand alone. This is something I never needed before but I'm experimenting with a live set up which avoids having to load Cakewalk. 

• Like 1

I will disagree at least with the ratio of Quality to price. These are basically freebies. I'm pretty picky about sounds and while these instruments might not be ones other people would use I play traditional bluegrass, folk,  rock and country. I mostly look for vintage instruments especially eclectic pianos. Possibly some of the stuff sucks but my collection so far have been very high quality. Simple yes, Some only make one sound but that's also fine by me.  

I actually used some of these instruments when they were new and I think the problem some might have is these were mostly one trick ponies and cannot be compared to a modern synth or piano.  They used weird inventions to attempt to make a piano portable.

I've a pretty big collection of electric pianos some I even paid more than I should have for.  Glassy is all over a lot of my tracks as well as it was the one I chose for live gigs because it's solid. 

Colla B I also use live but it's not quite good enough for my recordings, close but not as good as Air DB33. 

I haven't done much with these new ones but I'm pretty stoked about the Melox Pro Melodion. I used to own a real one 20 years ago and I had used it on recordings to emulate Accordion stuff. It sort of like a human powered reed organ. 

So far this one is sounding very usable and is a unique sound which for $10! 

This is an image of what a Melodion looks like. 

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by JohnnyV
  • Like 1