Mac Users - Two Essential Plug-In Management Apps (Not a DEAL)

Release

No clue if something like this is available for PC’s but these are quality-of-life apps that make dealing with plug-in MUCH easier.

PlugInfo - https://www.thinkersnacks.com/as-pluginfo.html

$2.99 Mac App Store

I think this was originally created to track which plug-ins are Apple Silicon compatible.  It’s perfect for that, but it’s also super convenient to see which versions you have installed - VST, AAX, Audio Unit, VST3.  Don’t need VST versions?  Right click to open that folder and delete them from there.  It’s much quicker than digging around to find the plug-in versions you don’t need when Installers don’t give you the option to choose.  I don’t use AAX but with every update from someone like Softube, therein there, just taking up space. Highly recommended.

MacUpdater - https://www.corecode.io/macupdater/index.html

Free and Paid Versions ($35)

This will track all your apps that need updating, but the real benefit is the $35 paid version that tracks plug-ins as well.  This one has become essential.  You can pick how often you want it to run and it’s always going in the background (but doesn’t use any resources until it does the scan).  I wasn’t sure if I would use this so I tried the free version (just apps) and bought the upgrade for plug-ins about 10 minutes later.  Highly recommended.

Edited by Release
Pricing change
  • Thanks 1

Looks pretty cool, i like to keep a shortcut to my AU “components” plugins folder easily accessible in my main dock, since i’m a logic pro user exclusively and find myself digging in there often to delete plugins. If vst or aax plugs get installed i manually delete them from the nearby subfolders. Can see the value in this though if i plan on updating and need to know what might stop working. Thanks for the post!

Edited by dumbquestions

I've been using the Plugin Manager in Gig Performer for plugin management on the Mac.  It took me a while to overcome being uncomfortable mucking in the plugins directory but needed to recover space on my 512 GB SSD.

I use GP to see what's loaded and to bring up the location of a plugin (but doesn't work on AU).  It doesn't do AAX, but I just delete the whole Avid plugins directory periodically.  I delete any AU/VST/VST3 that fails to load.  I delete AU plugins if the VST/VST3 works (so only the AU plugins left are Rosetta 2) .  I delete VST if VST3 works except for instruments (VST for Unify).

I've started doing the same on Windows though I'm still hesitant to make changes outside of installers.

• Like 1