Dithering

Hello, I have a question about dithering while exporting a CWP file. I'm using Cakewalk Sonar 7 Studio Edition but I don't think the version should matter here.

All I want to do is export a single song CWP file into a WAV file but the song was recorded at 48khz/24bit. Of course I am trying to get it to 44.1khz/16bit, hence the dithering. In the Export window, the only options I have are rectangular and triangular. Which one of those is optimal for what I described? This is a recording of one instrument track (miked clawhammer banjo) and one vocal track.

Neither the instruction manual that came with the software nor the additional book I bought (Sonar 7 Power) mention dithering. Thank you!

Actually, newer versions of Sonar or Cakewalk by BandLab have other dither options, such as POW-r 1, 2, and 3.

I don't know much about the difference between triangle and rectangular dither, but these options are not noise-shaped dither. I usually use triangle dither when I dither to 24-bit. However, when I dither to 16-bit, I usually choose an algorithm that has a noise-shaping option, such as POW-r 3.

Noise shaping means that the noise is often louder in higher frequencies and quieter in the mid or low range, which can sound more comfortable to the ears. Ultimately, it comes down to personal preference and the source material. The differences between dither algorithms are very subtle.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies y'all. Sorry for my late follow up, I've been out of the house for a week or so and my internet usage has greatly decreased. Anyway, after searching more around this site, I determined that I should indeed keep my mix at 48/24 and let the mastering guys do the dithering. Thanks again!!

• Haha 1

On 7/18/2023 at 8:18 AM, Alan Tubbs said:

Dithering is the last process to do for a final mix file.  Don’t dither unless it is a final file that you don’t plan on working on that file anymore.

check both dithering algorithms and use whichever one sounds best to you.

Thank you. One example of why I dither prematurely sometimes is so I can create a WAV file that will play on my other computer that will not support a CWP file. I'm pretty sure Windows Media Player will not accept 48khz/24bit. It's pretty much for reviewing purposes only, the original CWP file will remain unchanged for when I send it off to be wrapped up and made CD ready.

Oh yeah, now I have a different dithering question.

I've dusted off my recording computer and equipment to set up my home studio for the first time in 4 or 5 years. Somewhere somehow I set my Cakewalk settings to record at 44.1khz/24bit. I recorded a really good take of a song and want to get it to 48khz/24bit like the rest of my songs. So would I be able to dither the 44.1 up to 48 and not change the bit rate? I'd rather spend 30 seconds doing that than re-record the song. Thanks!