Output same audio track to 2 devices

rashidDrums

Hi, how can I output several audio tracks (backing play-along and VSTi) to 2 ASIO outputs simultaneously (one physical card with two distinct outputs 1-2 and 3-4)? And at the same time add Metronome to only one ASIO device (3-4 headphones). In short, having a Focusrite 2i4, I want to mix audio with Metronome to headphones, and play the clean audio tracks on the master output.

Please nudge me in a right direction! 🙂

Make a send to the outputs.

So you could set your metronome output to 3/4 and then on your master bus, have the output of that going to 1/2 and then make a send on that going to 3/4.

I typically set up busses for this stuff. It's unnecessary but having a bus labelled Main Out and Headphones and those busses routed to your intended hardware outputs helps you visually keep track of where things are going in your project.

Thanks guys!!! Just for others looking for an answer to the same question, you should have said "Right click on the track -> Insert Send". That's it. 👍

The concept of "Sends" was new to me - never used it before in my (mostly MIDI related) work.

2 hours ago, rashidDrums said:

BTW, if I understand correctly, there is no difference in terms of signal and latency between Track Output and Track Send? Or are there some nuances that I should be aware of?

No difference that I'm aware. Just different signal path.

Regarding "sends": they are extremely useful if you understand the way they work. Worth checking the documentation!

Edited by Andres Medina

4 hours ago, rashidDrums said:

Or are there some nuances that I should be aware of?

The primary difference I always encounter between track outputs & track sends, is remembering to choose the post or pre fader source, and panning levels, on a send. And though it's mostly an analog specific holdover, for me track sends generally involve no other processing point options along the way to their output destination. But in digital, that really makes no difference, especially if your destinations are the same type.