Update: Tracktion - Hyperion 1.41

Frank

Run Tracktion Download Manager or from your Tracktion account

Wavesequencer Hyperion Releases

released 07/10/23

New features:
-------------

Combi mode/big knob panel look/style update to match the 'Theia' patch player product which is about to be releasd. There is a new waveform animation that shows colour changing/fading waveshapes of the Left and Right audio channels seperately - it can be turned off with the 'waveform' button at the bottom left of the Combi mode panel.

Multi-input audio pins:
Audio nodes with a single audio input pin can now connect multiple audio sources to their audio input pin - basic level mixing is available via the input sources mixer panel (for level and pan modulation use the mixer nodes or directly modulate the oscilator/sound generator nodes).

The 'Mono oscillator' now features a Pan control pin for stereo positioning (yet still generates a mono tone and uses less CPU time than the Stereo oscillator).

Fade-in parameter for LFOs:
If fade-in is greater than zero and the trigger pin (T) is connected, LFO will fade in from 0 to 1X level within the set fade-in time each time it is triggered (fade in continues even after the T pin level goes back to 0).

ADSR reset to 0 option:
The ADSR node now has a checkbox option to operate more like a digital ADSR with the option to reset to 0 on trigger inputs rather than start at the current accumulated/decaying level - this is helpful with pluck sounds for the comb filter node updates.

Comb filter:
The Comb filter node now includes a F Hz input pin for frequency tracking and a level control input pin (L) that controls the amount of sound fed into the delay buffer, this is useful for plucked/bowing sounds creation using a noise source or a mix of noise/tuned tones as the input. To make these kinds of sounds the feedback level needs to be set quite high. The delay control knob will automatically be hidden if the F Hz input pin is connected.

F Hz output pin on oscillators.

Auto connect for 'All Macros Receive' node:
This feature is 'experimental' - it will automatically patch Macros 1-4 and the modwheel to available node pins on appropriate voice nodes. The modwheel output is assigned to LFO level if one is connected to oscillator/s fine tune, or to filter cutoff and shape/mod depth if not (assuming those are available), Macros 1-4 are automatically patched to filter controls, waveshape depth, FM mod depth, FM mix, FM feedback, unison detune amount, and Attack/Decay/Release of ADSR nodes. There's a fairly complex set of rules for this and a future release may feature an editor to set target preferences/target selection priority order.
Macros 1-4 also get renamed automatically to generic names: 'Filter/tone', Reso/Blend, Shape/Depth, ADSR Rate. The intention for this feature is to speed up setting up some useful Macro controls on a finished patch, but it may still require user intervention to add or remove connections to the 'All Macros receive' node as well as fine tuning of the modulation amounts/polarity (e.g for fast attack sounds it may not be appropriate to have the Macro ADSR rate control affect the attack time) and some ADSR envelopes might be best left un-modified by the Macro control input (e.g. if used for pitch envelope or other logical control).

Patch browser:
Now shows a preview of the background image associated to the patch that is currently highlighted in the list. There are some minor icon positioning/size updates.

• Thanks 6

Just a heads up if anyone is interested in Hyperion Synth-  I scanned the dev's Discord channel and there will soon be a "player" version of Hyperion called Theia, which will offer all the patches with macros but not the deep patch editing of Hyperion.  No info on price yet.  He has also indicated that a version update for Hyperion is in the works.  Source: https://discord.gg/SwXuffYq6c

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Brian Lawler said:

Just a heads up if anyone is interested in Hyperion Synth-  I scanned the dev's Discord channel and there will soon be a "player" version of Hyperion called Theia, which will offer all the patches with macros but not the deep patch editing of Hyperion.  No info on price yet.  He has also indicated that a version update for Hyperion is in the works.  Source: https://discord.gg/SwXuffYq6c

Nice. I tried the demo of Hyperion and really liked some of the sounds but find the patch editor quite daunting, so a player version would be just right for me. I wonder how much it will cost. I could have bought the full version for $22.50 at JRR shop, so I'd probably only buy the player for about half that price.

I read on that discord channel that he already presented it on the NAMM in April, so I think and hope that it won't take too long until it gets released.

• Like 1

Wow- I didn't recall that Hyperion went that low.  That was a steal.  I paid $66 in Nov 2021 and I guess that was probably 40% off at the time (- JRR code too).  I don't imagine it will be $11.25 very soon :)It is kind of a different beast, but I found it easier to tweak presets with it than with most synths.  I guess my brain is a jumble of stomp boxes and cables.  What appeals to me, I think, is that you don't see every used AND unused module spread over a few screens.  If there is only one LFO in use, that is all you see, and you can generally see "the whole picture" at once.  Sound wise I generally prefer edgier sounding synths like Spire and Hive 2, but this has a lot of variety and some nice soundscape type stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Brian Lawler said:

He has also indicated that a version update for Hyperion is in the works.  Source: https://discord.gg/SwXuffYq6c

2 hours ago, audioschmaudio said:

Nice. I tried the demo of Hyperion and really liked some of the sounds but find the patch editor quite daunting, so a player version would be just right for me. I wonder how much it will cost. I could have bought the full version for $22.50 at JRR shop, so I'd probably only buy the player for about half that price.

I read on that discord channel that he already presented it on the NAMM in April, so I think and hope that it won't take too long until it gets released.

That deal at JRR on May 31st, 2023 $25 prior to discount code was the only time I've seen Hyperion go below $64.
Using that price as a benchmark is probably just going to break your heart; I don't think it'll be back but we'll see what happens on BF.

As far as the player is concerned I'd be really surprised if the player went for under $35 when released (maybe on sale for $25 with MSRP of $35). 
Paul is too good of a developer to waste his time coding a new product that'll sell for $11.25 (unless that's the price for owner's of Hyperion).

Just MHO take it with whatever quantity of salt works for you.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

That deal at JRR on May 31st, 2023 $25 prior to discount code was the only time I've seen Hyperion go below $64.
Using that price as a benchmark is probably just going to break your heart; I don't think it'll be back but we'll see what happens on BF.

As far as the player is concerned I'd be really surprised if the player went for under $35 when released (maybe on sale for $25 with MSRP of $35). 
Paul is too good of a developer to waste his time coding a new product that'll sell for $11.25 (unless that's the price for owner's of Hyperion).

Just MHO take it with whatever quantity of salt works for you.

If you look at other vendors you'll see that player versions often are sold around $10 or even free, even for sophisticated synths like Analog Lab or Synthmaster or AAS products. In the end the developer probably doesn't have to program that much new stuff for the player version, just remove the interface for tweaking the sounds. I believe players often are free or sold cheap to get people to buy soundbanks or to get them hooked, so that they might upgrade to the real thing.

3 hours ago, audioschmaudio said:

If you look at other vendors you'll see that player versions often are sold around $10 or even free, even for sophisticated synths like Analog Lab or Synthmaster or AAS products. In the end the developer probably doesn't have to program that much new stuff for the player version, just remove the interface for tweaking the sounds. I believe players often are free or sold cheap to get people to buy soundbanks or to get them hooked, so that they might upgrade to the real thing.

Except the Traction doesn't have any Hyperion sound banks for sale... 
Not at the moment.

Per Reddit:

wavesequencer — 05/04/2023 9:49 AM
FYI folks - things are a little quiet from me in terms of posting updates or videos on Youtube, because I'm working on the 1st patch pack & Theia release,

If they are coming out with a player I would expect the player and patch pack to debut at the same time.
If the player version can only play patch packs and not the bundled patches I expect they'll include it with the patch pack.  

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TheSteven said:

Except the Traction doesn't have any Hyperion sound banks for sale... 
Not at the moment.

If they are coming out with a player I would expect the player and patch pack to debut at the same time.
If the player version can only play patch packs and not the bundled patches I expect they'll include it with the patch pack.  

I expect it to come with factory presets, just like all other players. Maybe a little less presets than the full version. If he's already working on a first patch pack then I see that as an indicator that I might be right with the assumption that the main goal of the player is to sell additional soundbanks.

In fact, as I think about it, I can't think of any player version that you can't get for free, except for Synthmaster Player which is often available for less than $10 and free only occasionally. Do you know any plugin player version that never sells for less than $10?