Request: "Auto-fade when Splitting Clips" option in Preferences

HOOK

I have a custom button set up for a 1ms fade to "Fade Selected Clips" after I split a clip.  I lasso the clips and hit the button.  It applies the fade to both ends of any clip I highlight.  This totally stops any audible click or pop when splitting a clip at a non-zero crossing.  PLUS, that 1ms fade in and out is so fast that it's not audible.

It would be good to see an "Auto-fade when Splitting Clips" setting in Preferences where a user can set the auto-fade time as he/she see fit.

I know there's a setting similar to this for comping.  And I know there's a setting for auto crossfade.  But I'm specifically talking about splitting a clip in two and then having the fade applied automatically to the new clip sections that don't overlap.

IMG_6941.JPG

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

I thnk this would be a good idea, pops and crackles can occur otherwise

Yes...pops and crackles you'd have to deal with manually, one way or the other.  The custom button is quick.  But having the ability to tweak this in preferences would be ideal so that you'd never have to worry about it again.

• Like 1

If Auto-Cross fade is enabled, using ALT + left click with the smart tool should apply a cross-fade when splitting clips.

The next update of CbB will include a fix to ensure that the "Split Clips" command (i.e. the S short-cut) does the same.

Sorry, I've got no ETA on the CbB drop... we're still waiting on some back-end server changes before we can release, which has to be done by someone outside of our team.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi Mark. Indeed, it works that way.  The problem I have with the auto-fade function is that it snips the clip at a point prior to and after the desired grid line and fades into or out of your intended split point.  If you do that to a group of tracks and then drag that group of waveforms over a few beats, now EVERYTHING is off by that much because it snaps to the cut where the fade starts.  That's no good.

If you guys change the S shortcut to do the same and I can't shut it off, it'll ruin me.  I've been using S to split clips for a couple decades man....don't do that to me!  🥺

14 hours ago, HOOK said:

Hi Mark. Indeed, it works that way.  The problem I have with the auto-fade function is that it snips the clip at a point prior to and after the desired grid line and fades into or out of your intended split point.  If you do that to a group of tracks and then drag that group of waveforms over a few beats, now EVERYTHING is off by that much because it snaps to the cut where the fade starts.  That's no good.

If you guys change the S shortcut to do the same and I can't shut it off, it'll ruin me.  I've been using S to split clips for a couple decades man....don't do that to me!  🥺

You can shut it off - just turn off auto cross-fade when splitting.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, HOOK said:

If you disable "Snap to Nearest Audio Zero Crossings", splitting Clips with ALT + Left Click will follow your Snap settings exactly.

Preferences > Customization > Snap to Grid (Advanced)

Klaus...I've had that disabled since the mid 90's because it causes splits to not fall exactly where you place the transport.

The problem with Auto-Crossfade is this:  Say you're clipping the left side of a waveform on beat 2.  When you split it with Auto-Crossfade activated, the clip actually splits BEFORE beat 2 and then fades-in to beat 2.  Do it....look closely.  You'll see what I mean.

And then, if you decide to drag and drop that clip onto a different part of the grid, it snaps to that cut point (which was never on the grid) - and the audio is off by that much.

I've never understood how this is useful for anyone.

I think it's worth us looking at an easy way of removing cross fades (unfortunately under the hood, this is not easy at all!)

In the meantime, the best advice I can give is:

1. Don't cross-fade too early in your project.
2. If you have cross-faded, use Snap By rather than Snap To.
3. If you really do have to cross-fade as you go along, consider committing your comps regularly, thus removing the need for the cross-fades altogether.  In fact, I'd say this is good practice for most operations - make a decision, then commit to it.  You'll end up with a far simpler project, and you'll remove the temptation to go back and second-guess yourself.

• Like 2

Well, Mark.  I've been using Cakewalk since 94.  Never once have I even noticed "Snap By" - or heard of it for that matter.

My songwriting workflow has always consisted of TONS of cut clips and snapping to the grid.  And I can't tell you how many countless hours I spent in the early versions manually fading my cut points because of clicks and pops.  And the auto-crossfade never cut at the snap point so I never could use it.

I just played around with "Snap By"...and now I feel like an idiot.  🤣

Dare I ask?  HOW LONG has "Snap By" been a thing?

3 minutes ago, HOOK said:

Well, Mark.  I've been using Cakewalk since 94.  Never once have I even noticed "Snap By" - or heard of it for that matter.

My songwriting workflow has always consisted of TONS of cut clips and snapping to the grid.  And I can't tell you how many countless hours I spent in the early versions manually fading my cut points because of clicks and pops.  And the auto-crossfade never cut at the snap point so I never could use it.

I just played around with "Snap By"...and now I feel like an idiot.  🤣

Dare I ask?  HOW LONG has "Snap By" been a thing?

A long, long time... it was definitely there in Cakewalk Pro Audio 7 (which was the first version I bought back in 1997).  I never used it until a few years ago though  (and to be fair, I didn't understand what it did until then either 😉 )

• Like 2

• 1 month later...