...Not To Beat A Dead Hourse, But!

Jimbo 88

Hey, so many years ago I made the argument that the Bakers should pay more attention to Staff View.  My argument was that technology will inevitably change,  DAWs will change, but Notation will stay constant.  Notation will be the bridge to the next technological advances (plus the fact that millions of children are taught notation all across the world, it's a universal language and a hugely, big(ly) market to tap!)

So now it's happening,  AI is here.   Programing AI voices without notation is possible, but way easier to do with notation.  Light years quicker.  Good luck to those who don't use it.  AI or notation.

The thing is you don't have to be able to "read" music per se.  You can create in Piano Roll View and input lyrics in Staff View.  Then off to AI.

That is all :)

• Like 3

I’m a little confused. Are you saying you want better notation tools in staff view, or are you saying something positive about PRV?

I have been using PRV quite a bit in the past year, but it can’t replace what notes do on a staff. They are so beautiful. I wish the new Sonar would  have a staff view on steroids. But, I may be outnumbered in this dream.

1 hour ago, Michael Richards said:

I’m a little confused. Are you saying you want better notation tools in staff view, or are you saying something positive about PRV?

I have been using PRV quite a bit in the past year, but it can’t replace what notes do on a staff. They are so beautiful. I wish the new Sonar would  have a staff view on steroids. But, I may be outnumbered in this dream.

Both,  I do want better notation tools.  But the argument I hear a lot is that are many who don't read music and CbB is will never be good enough for publishing.  Which is fine.  But inputting midi data using Staff View can be an advantage and possible for people who don't read music all because of the great Piano Roll View in CbB... and having a better Staff View will pay off in the long run.   And the long run is coming up fast!!

• Like 2

Notation in DAWs was never really about Publishing.  It's about workflow and faster writing, because I do think writing notation is faster than using a piano roll when you're constantly having to change grid values, etc.  DAWs with decent scoring engines also will do things like write Sustain Notes to 95% length and overlap Legato Notes by some Ticks so that this stuff automatically work well with most sample libraries, etc.

I think it's a bit late for the staff view, though.  I think they'd probably want to rewrite it if they were to improve it.

I think the best thing they can do is offer a MusicXML import to allow people to use other notation software and then import the data via MusicXML.

I'm not a big fan of bringing MIDI over from Notation Software, personally, but it's still viable as long as you turn off MIDI Data (Controllers, Velocity Variance, etc.) that they generate behind the scenes.

MusicXML is nice because they can automatically match Articulations to Articulation Maps where applicable.

• Like 2