Doing a fresh install of windows, which VST3 plugin companies require I deactivate a license to move it to a new windows install?

El Diablo

Hi.

My windows install is over seven years old, and it's way over due for a fresh windows install.

I'm curious which plugin companies require I deactivate their license on this windows install to activate on the new windows install?

I can't tell you which companies REQUIRE deactivation, but I would suggest deactivating ALL of them.

Some companies have a maximum number of authorizations. If you don't deactivate those first, you will use up another authorization (assuming that you have a spare one left).

I would deactivate ALL plugins that use iLok soft licensing (to the machine; an iLok dongle (never reliable for me) or iLok cloud (not me, ever) will just move to the new machine).

Most importantly,  make sure that you have ALL of the distribution files for your plugins.

I went through this recently when I switched from a desktop to a laptop before moving to France (230V) from the U.S. (120V). I got everything (DAWs and plugins) up and running before I dumped the desktop.

Edited by John Maar