How to "disable" comping take lanes?

mgustavo

Question

Hi, I'm transcribing a song on Staff View but as I've been cutting it in sections, one part was divided on 2 take lanes. However I'm trying to export it to one single clip but one take lane always get excluded!
I found out that the project was on Comping mode, so one take lane will be saved and the other will be lost. I tried to change the recording mode but it didn't help on exporting the clip.

Is there a way to disable the comping take lane or maybe I'm missing something?
Thanks in advance! 

Edited by mgustavo

On 5/26/2023 at 12:29 PM, JohnnyV said:

For this very reason I have always used Overwrite mode. It is found in preferences but the quick way to get there is to RIGHT CLICK the RECORD button in the transport  module to open the preference dialogue.

You can also left-click & hold the button for a dropdown menu which also contains Take Lane options.
All buttons with a lower corner arrow do this.

On 5/26/2023 at 12:29 PM, JohnnyV said:

Why would I want to keep a bad take? 

Because it may contain some good parts? Maybe? SOS is all I ever use.

• Like 1

I agree that one could have 2 seconds of a perfect take mixed in with 3 minutes of noodles.
I guess I’m more structured and tend to play what I hear in my head.  So my solos are going to just be me trying to achieve that.

I fully understand the process of creating by experimenting on the fly. That’s good too. And I guess comping is the better tool for that method. 

Possibly a difference with me is I need to recreate these parts live so comping together a solo would make that impossible. 
 I prefer to just use 3 tracks.  I record 1,2,3 and if I’m still not happy back to 1 and keep doing this until I feel I’ve got it.  

Sometimes that might require a dozen takes but as a rule my last take will be the best. It might be track 2.
But even though it was as good as I’m going to get it might still have a few boners. Therefore the reason I have 3 tracks.
I drag the best take to the top and if I find any boners I can easily cut paste from one of the other tracks or now I often use Melodyne to fix mistakes.  

I realize that take lanes could be used but every attempt at using it has ended up with a big mess for me because I obviously don’t understand it. I’ve lost material from using it.  

I used to use auto punch in but don’t really use that as much anymore because Melodyne probably can fix those mistakes. 

So once again there’s always 10 + ways to accomplish the same thing in cakewalk and we each use what works best for us.