How do I get saved MIDI files to play assigned VST instruments instead of TTS instruments? [SOLVED]

tdehan

Hopefully this is not a stupid question.

When I create and save a .mid file with different tracks using different VST instruments and open it back up into Bandlab Cakewalk all instruments default to the TTS instruments even though I am not using TTS instruments.  When I create the .mid file there is no track with Cakewalk TTS however, when I open up the saved .mid file there is a new blank track always with Cakewalk TTS and all the different tracks are playing through TTS.

I've been using Bandlab Cakewalk in live performances and running it through a Yamaha MU100 sound GM module.  However, I would like to use the VST instruments I have in Bandlab Cakewalk instead and run it directly through my digital interface into the PA.  But if it keeps defaulting to Cakewalk TTS instead of the VST instruments I've assigned to each MIDI track instead.

Is it not possible to save a .mid file with the assigned VST instruments to each track and play as a .mid file without it being saved as a Cakewalk file?  Or, am I going about this the wrong way?

Thanks  for any and all help :)

Edited by tdehan

The MIDI file standard (.mid) doesn't have a mechanism to save anything but basic track/instrument information... just bank and instrument number (0-127).
You'll have to save as a Cakewalk project file to preserve the VSTs you're using.

• Like 1

I think your saving as a Midi file. You need to use Normal file format CWP to create projects. Midi files only save the data and the TTS_1 is Cakewalks default to play midi files. 

A lot of this I covered in the midi tutorials. which are here on my new playlist. Scroll down to around the 9th video where I start explaining midi stuff. 

Looks like he beat me to it by 3 seconds... 

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7YqVth30eGt7K5L5fUIUF_UjCsdAVCbd

Edited by John Vere
Fix link

And also thinking about what you said about playing Cakewalk live, Have you tried the Playlist feature?  That's what it's for. It manages the different projects for you and loads them up while the last one is playing.    You can play both hardware and software instruments at the same time as well as have audio tracks. That's what I do so there's no weirdness. I use all audio tracks.  In over 2 decades of live gigs audio has never failed me. Midi can have issues. Midi 2.0 promises to fix that however.  

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

On 5/24/2023 at 6:27 PM, John Vere said:

And also thinking about what you said about playing Cakewalk live, Have you tried the Playlist feature?  That's what it's for. It manages the different projects for you and loads them up while the last one is playing.    You can play both hardware and software instruments at the same time as well as have audio tracks. That's what I do so there's no weirdness. I use all audio tracks.  In over 2 decades of live gigs audio has never failed me. Midi can have issues. Midi 2.0 promises to fix that however.  

Yes, I use the Playlist feature all the time when performing live.  It's great.  I didn't realize that I could use projects in the PlayList feature.  I thought it was only MIDI.  I've also been using MIDI since it's inception many many years ago.  I used to perform with racks of keyboards, drum machines and sound modules all connected via MIDI to a sequencer.  Only in the past few years have I downsized and use Bandlab Cakewalk through a single Yamaha MU100 sound module.  It's been working great!  I've never experienced any issues with MIDI so am not clear what issues you are referring to.  

On 5/24/2023 at 5:29 PM, John Vere said:

I think your saving as a Midi file. You need to use Normal file format CWP to create projects. Midi files only save the data and the TTS_1 is Cakewalks default to play midi files. 

A lot of this I covered in the midi tutorials. which are here on my new playlist. Scroll down to around the 9th video where I start explaining midi stuff. 

https://studio.youtube.com/channel/UCIImmMf5qdvYsgRLQvlZlFA/content/playlists

Looks like he beat me to it by 3 seconds... 

The link doesn't work.  

Sorry I probably copied my link from within the editing software.  It’s in my signature and in the tutorial sub forum as well.  I fixed it. 

My reference to midi can be unreliable under certain conditions. I too started performing using midi files and an Atari computer with sound modules in about 1984. Stuck notes, wrong patch changes etc. were pretty common for us back then. So possibly my experience with midi was resolved with better hardware latter on. But I learned to not trust it to always sound the same.

I was happy when the Sony Mini disk system came out in the 90's as that not only remove 100 lbs of gear, it was rock solid dependable. 

I still have all my original Midi files and many of my backing tracks started life back then. 

My latest live performance playback is I now make videos of some the songs that in my old age I'm rusty about lyrics.  Yep, sort of Karaoke but not quite. The lyrics don't scroll they just display 4 lines at a time as the song progresses so it's more like using a song book. I might even add reminders like don't forget the capo! 

The backing tracks are the same as I've always used just Drums, bass and  Keyboards. They have always been high quality Wave files. Even the Mini Disk was very high quality. Now the VST instruments I use are way better than those  sounds from my old Korg module.  The Ample P bass lite is the first midi bass I've every given a thumb's up too ever. The rest sound like someone farting to me. I made many backing tracks that featured real bass and sometimes real drums. Those were some of my very first Cakewalk project about 2004. 

I have a whole Cakewalk playlist rig set up but I find a few issues with it being slower for things like if I decide to skip a bunch of songs. I use Win Amp and a foot switch. Also the video view seems buggy. My only reason for thinking of using  the playlist is one band I have we are all multi instrumentalists who like to play bass.  I wanted optional mixes.  In the end it was easier just to create those mixes as split stereo with the bass in the left and drums in the right. We run the Bass track to a bass amp and have a A/B switch to swap out to the real bass.  

Edited by John Vere

2 hours ago, John Vere said:

The Ample P bass lite is the first midi bass I've every given a thumb's up too ever. The rest sound like someone farting to me.

That used to be my favorite free Bass, but I think MODO BASS 2 CS may be better.
It's available here if you want to try it out.

Screenshot.jpg.637bc3d7757b25d2a8d80dca4ce225dd.jpg