pops and clicks

I'm using PreSonus Studio 24C. Previously, I used my Fractal FM3 as my interface, and I may be returning to that. Since using the PreSonus, no matter the settings with buffers, etc., I'm getting pops, clicks, cracks, etc., in my sound (like playing an old record, but worse). Those sounds also are translating into the exported music file. Not sure what I'm missing, as it is connected, works with sound, etc., but not Cakewalk. 

My other issue... Cakewalk kicks me out often... seconds after recording a piece. Not sure what that's about, but it's been going on for months, even after updates.

First off, make sure that you have the most recent PreSonus Asio driver installed. Also, make sure that there are no other rogue ASIO or ASIO4All drivers on your system.  From preferences in Cakewalk make sure that you are using the ASIO driver model and have the Presonus selected.

If you are still getting clicks and pops on record check that directly monitoring through the Presonus, not through Cakewalk, sounds as you would expect.

If this all fails then you may need to download and run Resplendence LatencyMon program to see what in your system might be causing these issues.

As far a Cakewalk quitting on you, you would need to capture a dump file to send to Cakewalk staff to see if they can determine why it would be quitting. This is usually due to a audio interface driver issue or a plugin.

Funny you posted the same thing in 2020. I can only wonder if you are still using the same computer?? 

I've never owned a Presonus but I do believe they have very good ASIO drivers and it should not be the cause of your problem>>>> Unless you have the issue I had with my Motu M4. I needed more USB power. I had to add a PCI card with up to date USB 3.1 drivers because my computer was so old. 

I actually still have some minor issues so I just bought a USB C PCI card and will be installing later today.  Bus Power has always had it's down side. 

Did you ever run the Resplendent latency test as recommended back then?

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1