Totally perplexed by Transpose while using midi keyboard.

Hi all,

I just bought a keyboard which does work via midi, and while the keyboard itself has an octave +/- button which works through the keyboards own speaker, when connected to midi the button does not appear to function while playing live in Cakewalk.

I have a Catch 22 situation however. If I add a VST as a Simple Instrument track and start playing, it will play through that VST. It's only a 37 key keyboard though, so I want to be able to transpose. Adding as a Simple Instrument will not allow me to add Transpose though. The flip to this is that if I add the VST as Midi Source it allows me to add Transpose, and Cakewalk recognises the keyboard inputs (the levels respond to key presses) but there is no sound.

I presume I am missing an option somewhere, and/or Transpose may be available when using SImple Instrument but I am not finding where or how.

Does anyone know the solution to this one please?

What is the exact make and model of your MIDI Keyboard?

I have a PCR-800 and this also has octave up and down buttons.

When I press these buttons on the PCR-800, what it does is it changes the actual MIDI note numbers that the PCR-800 transmits.

Normally middle C on, the PCR sends "note on" 60. 
When I press octave up, pressing middle C,  the PCR sends "note on" 72 (60 + 12 semi tones). 
When I press octave down, pressing middle C, the PCR sends "note on" 48 (60 + 12 semi tones). 

So, the octave up/down button determines what the PCR actually sends.

Cakewalk would interpret these MIDI events as notes.  Pressing middle C with the octave down button pressed would send the same as if you physically pressed one octave down from middle C on the keyboard. 

I would assume that your keyboard would do the same.

• Thanks 1

It's just a cheapo keyboard from Gear4Music, bought as a piece of fun, a VisionKey-1

I discovered that it is midi-compatible though so dl'd Cakewalk to give it a try and as I say it works, but Transpose doesn't appear to on Cakewalk for my own VSTs, although for Cakewalks own midi piano it does.

If I use the Octave +/- on the keyboard through it's own speaker it functions correctly, but Cakewalk appears to ignore the function completely.

Unless the answer lies in a midi setting to instruct it to follow the keyboards own octave setting?

It looks like those octave buttons on the VisionKey-1 only affects what is sounded internally on the keyboard itself. 

It looks like it does not effect the MIDI notes data that is actually transmitted.

The way to tell definitively is to load some kind of MIDI monitor on to your PC (Like MIDI-OX) to see what the VisionKey-1 is actually transmitting and if that changes when you press the octave buttons.

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/how-do-i-install-and-use-midi-ox-for-windows/

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your replies and advice, I'm pleased to say a few random/guesstimate box ticks has done the job for me.

While inserting as a soft synth, I selected Midi Source,  First Synth Audio Output, and in the 'Display Automation On' dropdown selected 'First Synth Audio Track'.

Transpose is now available as a Midi Plugin and it works.

I'll leave this here for anyone else who may get stuck with the same issue.

Thanks again for your speedy replies.