How to make a Cakewalk project shorter?

Deesnay

Question

Sometimes, you work on a long project (I mean the song's duration, as measured in minutes or bars), and then for some reason, the project gets shorter, say reduced from 100 bars to only 75 bars.

The trouble is: when you use Ctrl+A (Select All), this will still select 100 bars, although the last 25 are empty (or at least seem empty).

I cannot seem to find a way to completely remove these last 25 bars, or tell Cakewalk that my project actually ends at bar 75 rather than 100. Any idea?

7 answers to this question

This means there's likely some data past the song end, like an automation node or some other event you're not seeing.

To get rid of it:

Turn on Ripple Editing, select those last 25 bars, press delete.

And make sure you turn off Ripple Editing right away before you make a horrible mess of your project!

• Like 1

Yeah, it closes the gap when you remove sections (or shifts things along if you insert or move something too). In this case, there was some rogue data there between where you wanted the song to end and where Cakewalk assumed the end was, so you've essentially just closed the deleted hole between both of those places.

• Like 1

Often for me it is stray automation dots, usually on the volume track. Eg, if you create an envelope when the project is 100 bars long, there might be a dot at the end of the clip. When you shorten down to 75 bars, the stray may still be there. Do a quick scan of all automation lanes and delete the dots. 

I just worked on some 1 hr+ live sets and out at bar 1900 there was a bunch of stuff that caused me the same issue. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Lord Tim said:

Turn on Ripple Editing, select those last 25 bars, press delete.

This seems to work fine, indeed! 👍🙂

I have no idea why. The original purpose of this ripple editing is to automatically remove holes when you delete parts of a track, isn't it?

• Like 1