Changing velocity?

Neil

So it's been a while since I've used cakewalk (a couple years and I feel like a complete noob again) and it appears things have been updated. I use MT Power drum kit and it used to be pretty straight forward when it came to adjusting the velocity of each hit.

Now, I pull up the piano roll and my velocities shows up at the bottom below the piano roll but when I try to click and drag them up or down, I cannot. I get the icon to drag but I cannot adjust them.

I can also bring up the Velocity plugin (?) and there's a preset to randomize hi hats but it's REALLY randomized and goes from barely audible to too loud and just makes a mess of things.

I'm assuming I'm missing some sort of lock button or maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place.

So here's what I'm looking at. The velocities are randomized but I cannot drag them up or down like I said.

As far as the tool assigned to my cursor, I generally keep it on the Smart too.

Untitled.jpg

@Neil If you clik on the D# piano key in the PRV (for ex) do all of the closed hat notes highlight? And if so when you then hover directly over the velo tail in the bottom pane for one of the highlighted notes, does the cursor change to an up/down arrow? If so you should be able to drag them up or down from there.

7 minutes ago, OutrageProductions said:

@Neil If you clik on the D# piano key in the PRV (for ex) do all of the closed hat notes highlight? And if so when you then hover directly over the velo tail in the bottom pane for one of the highlighted notes, does the cursor change to an up/down arrow? If so you should be able to drag them up or down from there.

Yes, if I select whichever piano key, all of the notes will highlight. However when I hover over any of the velocity tails in the bottom pain, the cursor changes to an up/down arrow but the velocity will not change.

I'm not sure how to tell.

I had started a new project and was able to adjust the velocity but closed out of it and of course I cant repeat it so I'll keep fiddling with things i guess.

Well I figured something out. I used to be able to (a couple years ago) use the step sequencer with the drums to make my beats and adjust the velocities. Now, if I use piano roll, I'm able to adjust them but if I use the step sequencer I cannot. I dont know if this is a change that happened or if some setting is checked/unchecked. While it's slower and more tedious, it's at least doable now.

Thanks for taking the time. CW is fantastic but ya, its very complex with a pretty good learning curve :)