Automation Envlelopes: Colors and View/Hide

johnegenes@gmail.com

Question

Hi, 

Still working on my various displays, and getting close to having Cakewalk as I'm used to. I'm stuck on FX automation right now. Can't figure out how to change the color of the FX envelopes. Example: I have a track/clip with a light brown background, and the EQ automation I've inserted is almost the same color. In Sonar 8.5 you could choose your automation colors, but I don't see a place to do that here. 
Also, I'd like to "Hide Envelope", but can't find where to do that. The best I've come up with is: SHIFT-A, then close all the envelope lanes I DON'T want to hide, then shrink that envelope lane as small as I can. That gets the envelope out of my clip, but now I'm stuck with a lane that I don't want. Would rather just hide the envelope entirely. 

So, my questions are: how to change color on FX envelopes, and how to hide an envelope. Thanks again. 

best,   --je

5 answers to this question

That's really helpful, thanks. But it seems to be an all-or-nothing choice. You either have automation showing, or you don't.  Sometimes I have several FX automation envelopes, and once I set them I don't need to deal with them anymore. So, I'd like to just hide them, as I used to do in Sonar 8.5.  I still want to be able to look at the track volume automation, though. And I'd like to be able to change the envelope colors. I usually assign the same colors to each type of automation (ie: EQ High Cut Freq = Red, EQ Low Cut Freq = Yellow, etc) so I know what each one is at a glance. Might have to drop this in as a feature request here. Thanks again. 

--je

Regarding hiding envelopes: just click the minus when the Automation lanes are displayed, AND the "Display Ghosted Data" is OFF: the envelope disappear from sight completely, with the automation lanes open or closed.

To show again an envelope: click the plus sign (apparently, CW remembers the envelopes used...!)

--- 

Colors: have no idea how to change the envelope colors! - someone will have the answer thou.

Screenshot_1.png

• Like 1

@Andres:  Yes, I've been doing that, showing and hiding the automation lanes. I don't really like using separate automation lanes, and am more comfortable having the automation directly over the waveforms on the track, so I can line things up more easily. The other issue seems to be that when "Display Ghosted Data" is turned off, you don't see ANY automation on the main track at all. In Sonar, you could simply right click an envelope and choose "Hide Envelope". Right clicking a clip would give you a box where you could create a new envelope, show ALL the envelopes, or hide some of them. It was simple, and you didn't have to go search for a "View-->Display-->Display Ghosted Data" box to tick. I do use keyboard shortcuts extensively and have basically reprogrammed the workspace so that I don't have to use the mouse very much. Thanks for in info.    --je