VST Playback/Track Issues

Z. Novkovic

I was able to import a WAV file and can hear the playback through my laptop speakers. However, I have not been able to successfully hear the playback when inserting a VST drum file. I did use the "instrument" selection when creating a new track and able to, in this case, listen to various drum VST's in cakewalk or MT Drum Kit. But, when I drag and drop the sounds into my track and hit play nothing comes out of the speakers other than the initial WAV file? Tried going through all the various Ytube videos on sound card and outputting but frustrated after spending almost 5 hours trying to figure it out. My laptop has a standard Synoptics SmartAudio HD card device...

If you select the 'instrument' track and play some notes into the VST from your input (mouse clik on the drums in the GUI or play from the querty or MIDI keyboard controller) do you hear drum sounds?

Do you have any MIDI notes recorded & visible in the instrument track? Or have you tried to drop a MIDI clip on the instrument track?

I can hear the individual drum sounds when using the mouse within the GUI of the VSTbut don't see any notes. Don't have any MIDI gear setup yet and was just trying to load up some basic drum VST's to use as a guitar backing track. Appreciate you helping but this could be having an old man learn new technologies. I remember a buddy of mine had Cakewalk back in mid 80's or was it early 90's and we both thought it was cool but never really stuck with it.

Screenshot 2023-04-21 165050.jpg

Without any MIDI input you are gonna have a hard slog upstream but...

open the Piano Roll View (look in the help system for deets) and you can draw the notes in with your mouse. Kick is usually on C1, snares on D1/E1, hats on F#, G#, A#. Etc.

Also look in help for 'virtual' controller or keyboard which will allow your QUERTY keyboard to trigger notes (but usually defaults to C4 or middle octave).

There are several other ways to do this, I'm just outlining one.

Check out this excellent video for the basics:

Edited by OutrageProductions
  • Like 1

If you want to use the SI drums, set up a new instrument track with the SI kit itself as the instrument, not TTS-1 with the drums as a plug-in as you have it. Then on that track, open the GUI, select a kit in the top drop down on the left, then pick one of the genre/beats below that and drag some beat clips onto the track.

Edited by Ross Smithe