Unable to Drag & Drop files from Media Browser & Vocal Recording

D'Layna

Hello All, 

I upgraded to Sonar Platinum when it was still owned by Cakewalk.  My DAW worked great until 2 days ago.  I read on this forum that someone else was having the same problem.

When I try to drag a file from the media browser in Sonar onto an audio track it will not allow me to do that.  I can accomplish the task but only if I double-click the file then it drops it on the track.  I can preview the loop, but that's it.

When I record a vocal, I cannot move the vocal to another track.  I have to cut and paste to new track. 

How can I fix this?  Did I accidently select something I shouldn't have?   In the user's post he was asked to check if he was running as an administrator.  How and where do I check if I am running as an administrator?  

Windows did an update 2 days ago.  I need to learn how to turn the updates off.

Any help is deeply appreciated.  

Yeah, that's weird.

OK, the Administrator thing (just to clarify for anyone reading too) means that if you have Windows File Explorer open, and you've run Cakewalk in Administrator mode, you won't be able to drag any files from that into Cakewalk. This is because Cakewalk is running at a different permission level than your Windows user is, so it's blocked by security. Anyone facing that issue should fix that by running Cakewalk as a standard non-elevated app.

However...

You're saying you can't drag from Cakewalk's Media Browser into the project, which isn't that Admin problem above. And the dragging between tracks would be entirely unrelated to that stuff anyway. I'd also be incredibly surprised if a Windows Update would cause anything like this too, although if your mouse software has been altered, this could be a place to look.

My gut is telling me it's something to do with your Smart Tool settings, if it's not the mouse software.

Can you use your mouse normally in any other app? EG: dragging things around, in and out of windows and all of that stuff?

Can you get us a screen shot of your Cakewalk window, making sure you get the Control Bar at the top in the screen shot especially?

Lord Tim, I cannot drag within Windows File Explorer.

You say "This is because Cakewalk is running at a different permission level than your Windows user is, so it's blocked by security. Anyone facing that issue should fix that by running Cakewalk as a standard non-elevated app."

How do I run Cakewalk as a standard non-elevated?  

Thank you for your time and help!!

1 hour ago, D'Layna said:

Lord Tim, I cannot drag within Windows File Explorer.

You say "This is because Cakewalk is running at a different permission level than your Windows user is, so it's blocked by security. Anyone facing that issue should fix that by running Cakewalk as a standard non-elevated app."

How do I run Cakewalk as a standard non-elevated?  

Thank you for your time and help!!

Unless you've specifically changed Cakewalk to run as administrator, it should be running as a non-elevated app.

To check if it's elevated, you can right click on the Cakewalk shortcut, select "properties" then go to the Compatibility tab of the properties dialog.  If it has "Run this program as administrator" checked, then it'll be started as elevated.  It's worth checking Cakewalk.exe itself too.

To make it not run as administrator, just uncheck this setting and click "Apply".

Just to clarify though, do you mean you're not able to drag things around in other apps? So, for example, if you tried to drag a file from C:\Folder1 to C:\Folder2 (just as an example, you likely won't have these actual folders) can you do it?

If you mean from File Explorer to Cakewalk, then what Mark said is the solution.

But if that's not what you meant, and you're unable to drag things around elsewhere, then I'd look at your mouse drivers.

12 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Hello msmcleod, 

When I viewed the Compatibility tab the "Run this program as an administrator" is not checked.  When I viewed the "Shortcut" tab and clicked on Advanced the "Run as Administrator" is not checked.  

😭

Unless you've specifically changed Cakewalk to run as administrator, it should be running as a non-elevated app.

To check if it's elevated, you can right click on the Cakewalk shortcut, select "properties" then go to the Compatibility tab of the properties dialog.  If it has "Run this program as administrator" checked, then it'll be started as elevated.  It's worth checking Cakewalk.exe itself too.

To make it not run as administrator, just uncheck this setting and click "Apply".

11 hours ago, Lord Tim said:

Hi, I can't drag any file regardless of the file type to any folder.  I followed Mark's instructions to see if I had "Run as Administrator" on and I don't.

I have a Logitech mouse.  Where would I check to see what drivers I have?  By the way, I'm learning a lot from these exercises.

I never had this problem before :(

11 hours ago, Lord Tim said:

Just to clarify though, do you mean you're not able to drag things around in other apps? So, for example, if you tried to drag a file from C:\Folder1 to C:\Folder2 (just as an example, you likely won't have these actual folders) can you do it?

If you mean from File Explorer to Cakewalk, then what Mark said is the solution.

But if that's not what you meant, and you're unable to drag things around elsewhere, then I'd look at your mouse drivers.

Ahh OK, this isn't a Cakewalk problem then if it's happening in apps outside of Cakewalk.

When you said you had a Windows update, I said it would be very unlikely to cause any problems in Cakewalk but it *could* have messed up your mouse software, which is what I think happened. Some mice need specific software to work properly and Windows likes to put in its own generic software in updates sometimes. That's what I think has happened.

See if you can find your mouse on this page: https://support.logi.com/hc/en-au/articles/360024361233

Then look for Drivers or Logitec Software and download and install that. You might need to go into the set up to check to see what your buttons are assigned to.

Failing that, if you go into Windows Settings (Windows Key + I) and go to Devices > Mouse, you might find something in there that you can fix to get this working.

18 hours ago, Lord Tim said:

Some mice need specific software to work properly

Indeed, but where that is actually the case, the user probably knows and is installing it on purpose. - Sincerely, I do hope the solution listed indeed works for the OP - great find!  But I still have to say: -The case with Logitech - I install so many of their devices - love them generally, but when they make a forced addition to your startup items, and also prompt to download their software without explanation of the choices, it really bothers me. -The truth is, in most cases, basic mouse, headset, and camera functionality for the average user is present in the basic Microsoft-supplied (through Logitech submission) drivers for those items - unless you are needing a specific extended function.

I say that, because if the OP here has issues pertaining to mouse configuration, it can be tough to know which way to go with the "repair". If they are already using extended features (accidentally or not) of the mouse via the vendor-specific software, and is unaware of how that works in general, there can be more problems ahead, other than just moving things in Cakewalk.  -Be careful!

Personally, I ignore the download prompt for Logitech software that happens upon adding a new Logitech device, and go immediately to the Windows Settings - Apps - Startup section, and turn off the Logitech Download Assistant that was just installed. Then, I use the device with the default drivers (except in rare cases where that is not possible), and if I find I need any of the extended features, I read up on it on the Logitech Web site, and download & install - what & when I choose to. At the least I also think I get less system clutter & background data reporting to Logitech doing it that way, though one can never be sure about that anymore these days.  -Sometimes the simplest things, like a computer mouse, can get so complicated! -Sorry about the info overload. Do of course be aware of odd system device drivers & behaviors in Windows, and then fix those before they complicate things in Cakewalk, Or any app for that matter!

Edited by JnTuneTech
Trying not to be so presumptive!

Lord Tim, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!  Upgrading the receiver and mouse drivers worked.  I can drag files in windows explorer and within Cakewalk.

Do you think that I should uninstall Cakewalk and reinstall with BandLabs version so that I keep up with updates?

I'm so blown away that a mouse could cause so much havoc.  Once again, thank YOU from the bottom of my heart!  YOU ROCK!! 

Do you have any music online that I can listen to?

I also want to thank everyone who responded as I know everyone is busy. 

17 hours ago, Lord Tim said:

Ahh OK, this isn't a Cakewalk problem then if it's happening in apps outside of Cakewalk.

When you said you had a Windows update, I said it would be very unlikely to cause any problems in Cakewalk but it *could* have messed up your mouse software, which is what I think happened. Some mice need specific software to work properly and Windows likes to put in its own generic software in updates sometimes. That's what I think has happened.

See if you can find your mouse on this page: https://support.logi.com/hc/en-au/articles/360024361233

Then look for Drivers or Logitec Software and download and install that. You might need to go into the set up to check to see what your buttons are assigned to.

Failing that, if you go into Windows Settings (Windows Key + I) and go to Devices > Mouse, you might find something in there that you can fix to get this working.

• Like 3

Ah, great news! :)

If you're using the latest Cakewalk by Bandlab that should be fine, but it's worth going up to Help > Check for Updates and seeing if you're on the latest version (the last one was from the end of last year, the devs say a new update is coming really soon)

And cheers, I do have a bit of music up online here and there. I have a couple of links up here: https://www.lord.net.au/lordtimofficial/  

12 hours ago, D'Layna said:

Do you think that I should uninstall Cakewalk and reinstall with BandLabs version so that I keep up with updates?

There will be no updates to any Cakewalk program acquired before Dec. 2017 (?), that company no longer exists.
Bandlab bought it and created an updated program, Cakewalk by Bandlab which is updated and supported today.