Midi notes not in grid

Emanu3le85

Question

hello everyone, when I record the midi notes of a vsti while playing at clock time it records them a little later on the grid, it seems to do it only on a vst in particular (TAL noisemaker) not on the others and I have not buffer latency on the sound when pressing keys, can you help me? Thanks

Edited by Emanu3le85

12 answers to this question

I have a motu m4 set to 512 samples, asio driver, I also have midi latency in playing with an external synth but I solved it by increasing the MTC offset to 46.00ms. But even adjusting offset and sample rate does not affect the synch with the arpeggiator or the recording of the notes on the grid

Edited by Emanu3le85

On 4/13/2023 at 4:19 PM, Emanu3le85 said:

MTC offset to 46.00ms

This setting shifts the MIDI grid against the audio clock (including the audio metronome) for both playback and recording and will affect where MIDI is laid down on the grid when recording. This setting was originally intended to compensate for MIDI transmission and response delays of hardware synths to sync them with playback of recorded audio - delays that are typically on the order of a few milliseconds. Higher values will cause problems in other contexts.

• Like 1

Hi David, just yesterday i noticed this, yes i also have a hardware Roland jp08 connected in midi in and midi out, i moved the offset to 46.00 for synchronized midi playback of the synth, but in this way if i want to record the notes of a plug in, It is off the grid, I should always change setting depending on the job, Thanks!

The need for such a large offset is quite unexpected in any case. Even if your interface has quite high hidden latency on top of the 512-sample buffer, you should not be seeing more than 14-15ms of audio input latency plus maybe 3-4 milliseconds of MIDI transmission and response delay. Ideally you would get the buffer down to 128 samples or less and not need more than 6-8ms offset. But 46ms doesn't make sense in any scenario.

I don't know why that number, but believe me it's the only way to hear the midi playback of the synth in sync, it took me a long time to find it, in my case the values are exactly: 512 = 46.00 ms, 256 = 35.00 ms

Edited by Emanu3le85

Are you sure you're not listening to the onboard wavetable synth? Those have notoriously bad latency that would be consistent with a 46ms offset. Or possibly the synth patch you're using on the Roland has a very slow attack...? In that case you should move the MIDI ahead of the grid or use the Time+ control in the track to compensate rather than using a system-wide offset. Other than that, I can't really imagine another cause and would expect the MOTU/Roland combo to work better than that.

I've read around on the forums that many people have problems with the motu asio drivers, I certainly don't have a very good PC for audio and I've always had some problems even before the motu card, maybe the problem is the interaction between motu and pc?

Edited by Emanu3le85