Problem with midi notes stopping due to recording

Bret

Question

Something rather frustrating has seemingly occurred just out of the blue. Previously after recording a midi track, upon playback of the recording, I was able to continue playing along with the recording. So for example, if I recorded a random chord, I was able to play that same chord in playback independently (So the base track would play and my keyboard input would not be affected by the recording). However now when I record notes, upon playback, my playing is affect by the recorded notes. So for example, if I'm playing either the same chord or notes that were recorded (on the same track) and the recorded chord ends, so too does by currently played notes. As I'm very new to Cakewalk I assume it is a simple fix.

Edit - It appears note stacking is turned off based on the reply below. Is there anyway to re-enable it?

Edited by Bret

3 answers to this question

Some MIDI instruments support "note stacking"  - in other words, if you play middle C twice it'll play two middle C's on top of each other.  When you let go of the note, one of them will stop playing, and the other will continue playing.

Other instruments don't support note stacking. They will either ignore the second middle C, or stop the first middle C to play the second one.  As soon as it receives the first note off, it'll stop playing.

The easiest way around this is to create a new track with a new instance of the instrument.

3 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Some MIDI instruments support "note stacking"  - in other words, if you play middle C twice it'll play two middle C's on top of each other.  When you let go of the note, one of them will stop playing, and the other will continue playing.

Other instruments don't support note stacking. They will either ignore the second middle C, or stop the first middle C to play the second one.  As soon as it receives the first note off, it'll stop playing.

The easiest way around this is to create a new track with a new instance of the instrument.

This problem never occurred previously using the same instruments. As such, I assume a setting relating to note stacking was changed unintentionally. Is there any setting to re enable?

Edited by Bret