Bizarre latency and Asio driver issue

BenJHayes

I have had ongoing issues with Bandlab on PC which I don't get in other DAWs or never had with a Sonar.

I have to record with a pretty high Latency (512) and mix with even higher rates to avoid pops, crackles and stutters.

In fact I cant even really use plugins like ToneX because its too unstable.

Accidently I set the Asio buffer size to the minimum and everything is super smooth and even plugins are workable! WTF!

Any ideas?

4 hours ago, BenJHayes said:

I have had ongoing issues with Bandlab on PC which I don't get in other DAWs or never had with a Sonar.

I have to record with a pretty high Latency (512) and mix with even higher rates to avoid pops, crackles and stutters.

In fact I cant even really use plugins like ToneX because its too unstable.

Accidently I set the Asio buffer size to the minimum and everything is super smooth and even plugins are workable! WTF!

Any ideas?

I am confused by what you have written. If you set your asio buffer size to the minimum and everything is smooth and plug-ins are working, it that a problem? 

Its not a problem now however if I move the slider and set anything above minimum then the latency and quality is dreadful. I'm assuming that for some reason the driver isn't working correctly. If I even set the buffer size to 128 its unusable but at 16 its fine which is not what should happen.

I wonder if the Focusrite drivers or something is corrupted and its actually using something else or another setting?

Very weird!

Check you sync and caching page under audio settings and make sure the Focusrite is the driver  for the Recording and Latency adjustment. Often a generic driver, ASIO4all , Magix can take over this setting and they will need to be removed in the Reg Edit app. 1954066397_Screenshot(494).png.1d1a6b8a83a9a3524aab189d75fa858f.png

4 hours ago, BenJHayes said:

Its not a problem now however if I move the slider and set anything above minimum then the latency and quality is dreadful. I'm assuming that for some reason the driver isn't working correctly. If I even set the buffer size to 128 its unusable but at 16 its fine which is not what should happen.

I wonder if the Focusrite drivers or something is corrupted and its actually using something else or another setting?

Very weird!

Thanks for the clarification.  I am not an expert on audio drivers and I don't have a Focusrite; however, I used to intuitively think that larger buffers meant more latency but fewer audio issues (crackles, etc.).  Then I got into fine tuning my PC's audio and I found out for my system, a buffer size that was either too small or too large was an issue and I had to find the "sweet spot" for my system (MOBO/PC Resources, Audio Devices, Drivers, etc.).

Yes, its somewhat counter intuitive (or "weird") and I don't know enough PC/Audio Electronics to understand or to explain all the interactions, the complex timings, function calls, or whatever they are that make a particular system "in tune," but based on my limited experience larger is not smoother.  If I had super smooth audio and no plugin issues with a small buffer size like you have, I'm not sure I would try to fine tune it further and risk upsetting the balance.

Of course, I will defer to others here if they know more of the deep workings than I do.