"explode" midi parts to tracks

jono grant

Hi, I know of the other posts on this topic but none have any solutions, only work-arounds. 

There is a popular function among other DAWs that allows you to take a midi track of chords and split or "explode" the "parts" on to individual midi tracks.

Cal script "split notes to tracks" is not the same.

The user plays let's say, a 4 part chord arrangement on one midi track. This function would split that track into 4 separate tracks by extracting the highest voiced line each time until the new tracks had all the individual parts. 

This should be a feature in Cakewalks notation features. (The score editing is so ancient in Cakewalk, it really needs an overhaul!)  

Is anyone capable of writing a CAL script for this? 

Cubase has the most simple version "explode tracks" that I've found.

Info here: https://steinberg.help/cubase_pro_artist/v9/en/cubase_nuendo/topics/midi_editor_score_editor/transcribing_MIDI_recordings/score_editor_function_explode_t.html 

*I know the work-arounds but at this point it's easier to just bring the midi into Cubase. It would be great to have this feature available in Cakewalk though.

Thanks

Jono

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

I've used the CAL script <Split Notes to Tracks> for 20+ years without any issues. Yeah it requires some work, but nothing that intricate is ever easy. I use it all the time for drums and then recombine the MIDI data to kicks, hats, snares etc.

The newest version of Scaler 2.7 can capture the MIDI and then output to multiple output tracks/channels starting with the bottom note to Ch1 (etc) driving multiple instruments.

Edited by OutrageProductions
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2023 at 3:35 PM, OutrageProductions said:

I've used the CAL script <Split Notes to Tracks> for 20+ years without any issues. Yeah it requires some work, but nothing that intricate is ever easy. I use it all the time for drums and then recombine the MIDI data to kicks, hats, snares etc.

The newest version of Scaler 2.7 can capture the MIDI and then output to multiple output tracks/channels starting with the bottom note to Ch1 (etc) driving multiple instruments.

In Cubase: select staff with multiple parts, click "explode parts" immediately creates separate tracks with each part isolated... I'll use that.

Tired of the same workarounds in Cakewalk for two decades... faster to do it by hand than the Split notes CAL method. That's more for splitting drum parts where you need each note separate... They should just copy this Cubase function or create "Split parts to tracks CAL"