Best way to quickly switch between monitors(speakers) and headphones?

pulsewalk

On 2/27/2023 at 1:38 AM, John Vere said:

Absolutely. This is something I just figured out last summer when I was asked to play keyboards and I learned how to control Cakewalk from my Controller. 

Everything in Cakewalk that you can press or move has Midi learn built in. You access this by Right Clicking on the button or fader. In this case I right clicked the Master faders Mute button This dialogue will open

1782877446_Screenshot(1024).png.6cf0fb02831c05b984cae7cd907dc7a4.png 

Select Remote control and this dialogue will open

952712390_Screenshot(1025).png.00c104ff22a7ad3abb44b0980f68d10f.png

Now you can choose a note on event or a Controller . 

892489710_Screenshot(1026).png.558593c993ea268747684292a47a7867.png

Now just select Learn and either wiggle, slide or hit the control you want to assign to the function and bingo that will now toggle the Mute button on and off. I just tested it using C7 at the top of my keyboard and it works. 

This will be saved with the project, It is not global to other projects. And you must always have the keyboard controller connected before you open the project. 

Once I discovered this I am now lusting after a Controller with a lot of knobs. Mine only has 2   ;( 

Wow, this is very handy indeed! But I didn't see an option for a keyboard shortcut? Is this only possible with like MIDI/USB controllers and such? It would be nice to be able to assign the function to switch output to CTRL+O for example, or any unused key combination :)

On 2/28/2023 at 7:23 PM, John Vere said:

This post came to mind yesterday after I had recorded a vocal track and realized after I was finished 1 hour later,  that I had failed to turn my monitors off! argh!  This made me think of a hardware solution that I don't think exists. A switch on the front of your audio interface to choose output.  

577046595_Hardwaareswitch.png.5838a1531365005ffe29999baa1db1ba.png

Yes!!! Exactly! And that is exactly what I also are missing :D

That is the very reason for this thread really, as I had to do this directly in Cakewalk, with a software switch. So now, as I've set it up (just as described earlier) the switch is all only a one button click. Either monitors or phones. I don't have "both" as option, but I guess that might be possible too without too many clicks.

5 minutes ago, pulsewalk said:

Wow, this is very handy indeed! But I didn't see an option for a keyboard shortcut? Is this only possible with like MIDI/USB controllers and such? It would be nice to be able to assign the function to switch output to CTRL+O for example, or any unused key combination :)

Both PC and MIDI controller keyboard shortcuts are setup in the same place, in CbB Preferences > Customization > Keyboard Shortcuts.

• Like 1

Yep. Keyboard short cuts are your friend. The ability to customize is brilliant.  One of the hugest time savers for me is to take keys I never use and re assign them to thing I do a lot. My newest is Z opens Melodyn for the clip in focus and X renders it when done. Those 2 moves used to involve digging through a few menus with the mouse.

But problem is things like you are doing are not on the shortcut list. Not sure if you can create a Macro for that. 

But Midi can most certainly control anything that moves or turns on and off in a project. Problem is it's not global. Only per project unless it was part of a template originally. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, pulsewalk said:
On 3/4/2023 at 11:04 AM, scook said:

Both PC and MIDI controller keyboard shortcuts are setup in the same place, in CbB Preferences > Customization > Keyboard Shortcuts.

Yes, but it seems there's no way to assign a computer keyboard shortcut to Mute on a certain bus, as we've been discussing. :)

Nice...I probably should have included more of the original post. The post I was replying to was edited after my repy. It contained information about the German keyboard layout and inconvenient key locations.