Question

This box has worked flawlessly for months, Its an I7 4 quad 32 gig ram custom built for this, malware scans produced little. I tried to keep it isolated from the internet. If all else fails ? Will a complete windows install will be in order or will just Cakewalk installed. Should I removed all unfinished material to a external flash drive before uninstalling cakewalk or will the the data stay? I need this yesterday for a memorial song. thanks for any helpful answers..

Alan

Screenshot (7).png

6 answers to this question

Just now, ALAN WILSOHN said:

This box has worked flawlessly for months, Its an I7 4 quad 32 gig ram custom built for this, malware scans produced little. I tried to keep it isolated from the internet. If all else fails ? Will a complete windows install will be in order or will just Cakewalk installed. Should I removed all unfinished material to a external flash drive before uninstalling cakewalk or will the the data stay? I need this yesterday for a memorial song. thanks for any helpful answers..

Alan

Screenshot (7).png

thanks yall !!

Anything you do to Cakewalk won't affect your projects at all, so no need to back them up (but you should! It's never a bad time to back up your stuff!) but this is looking like either a Windows or Driver update has affected something, or you've gotten a disk write error on something important (it happens, even on a solid system) or something has gotten tangled somewhere. This doesn't look like an audio driver interface problem to me.

Start with making sure your Windows Updates are all up to date. After a reboot, see if it crashes. 

If it does, try checking to see if your system libraries are up to date:

If that doesn't fix it, see if you can check to see if any part of Windows has become broken. You can find instructions on how to use DISM to fix that here: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

If that fails, you can try a Clean Install of Cakewalk, which won't affect your projects at all, but will entirely reset Cakewalk to how it would be right out of the box, so if you have any custom themes or keyboard shortcuts or anything like that, it'll all be reset. https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360034066393-Clean-Install-Cakewalk-by-BandLab

If, after all of that doesn't fix stuff, the next time it crashes, grab a crash dump and get it off to Support - they'll be able to see exactly where the crash is occurring and be able to give you exact instructions on how to resolve it. Information on how to do that is here:

There  might also that be that old bugaboo, a conflict with a plug-in. Really, crashy-freezy issues are more often plug-in conflicts than anything else. This is due to the wild and wooly nature of plug-in hosting. The DAW and the plug-in are at each others' mercy when it comes to playing nice.

Try opening this project while holding down the Shift key and telling it not to load the plug-ins. If it makes it through, then you're looking for the plug-in that Cakewalk is choking on.

Bypass, save, reload, repeat until culprit is found, report issue to Cakewalk and plug-in company support. If you can recall using a plug-in on this project that you don't usually or maybe haven't yet used, then you have a head start.

If the crash is happening regardless of which project you try to open, then the likelihood of it being a plug-in conflict goes way down.

• Great Idea 1

On 2/5/2023 at 7:43 PM, Lord Tim said:

I'd be a little reluctant to pin it on a plugin if it's crashing on Creating UI rather than the plugin scan itself, but this is good advice all the same :)

I've had it happen that a plug-in conflict caused CbB to lock up or poof right at Creating UI. It just means that it took Cakewalk and the plug-in a little longer to figure out that they were mortal enemies or that the conflict itself waits until Cakewalk is painting the UI to fall down and go boom.

My IK Multimedia and Native Instruments plug-ins are all running fine, but one of the reasons I retired my Latitude E6410 from audio work is that those companies both released instruments last year that require full DX12 (not emulated) in order to either install or display correctly. That is, I think, overall a good sign if it means that they're offloading more to the GPU, but it also might mean that display issues will get trickier if they don't do it correctly.

Scientific progress goes BOINK!