Track Zoom Issue

Shane Taylor

Question

New to CW and am really struggling with getting around the Track Panel. I rely heavily no the mouse wheel (with/without modifiers) to move, scroll, and zoom H/V in other DAWs, but I just can't get CW to work for me. I've tried various combinations in the Track > Options > Mouse Wheel Zoom Options, and with a setting of At Cursor for Horiz and On Active Track for Vertical (in and out), I find that Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Wheel SOMETIMES changes the zoom horizontally, but not at all consistently (?). Similarly, Alt+Shift+Wheel SOMETIMES (but rarely) changes the zoom of the current track, but in sometimes small and sometimes very large increments. I have the  Simultaneous H/V Zoom unchecked. Like right now, It just simply isn't working for me. I've not changed any keyboard bindings, themes, anything, using the Advanced Workspace. I'm on a 2-day-old fresh install, V 2022.11 (021), Win10Pro.

Is anybody else having similar problems?

14 answers to this question

In the track view, to the left (where it lists the track names), move your mouse point to a line separating the tracks, you will see the mouse cursor change.  Drag this up and down will zoom that track’s height.  

Holding down SHIFT while doing this, will adjust all selected tracks to be the same height. 
Holding down CTRL while doing this, will increased/decrease all selected track’s height. 

To Zoom horizontally, mouse over the ruler until the mouse pointer looks like a magnifying glass.

See the Cakewalk Help file for more information.

Agreed. I know how to do all of that, including using the keyboard, as explained on Pg. 492. But what I'm talking about in my post above is the mouse wheel zoom functions described on Pg. 493. None of that works as described. Sometimes, if I'm lucky, I see what resembles the correct behavior for a second, but it is definitely NOT consistent nor correct. Does it work for you?

I'm talking about ZOOMING, not scrolling.

My default install does the following:

Shift+wheel - scrolls tracks up/down

Ctrl+wheel - scrolls tracks right/left

Alt+wheel - does nada, zip, nothing. Neither does any of the commands on the referenced pages related to zooming.

I will do that for sure. I uninstalled it completely, and am reinstalling it and will give it another go. If I still have the same issues, I will log a ticket.

I also added a feature request for the Markers.

Appreciate your assistance, and thanks for the links.

Cheers,

Shane

So, at first, I saw the same behavior. But also noticed that the uninstall did not remove the settings in the appdata folder, so I renamed the audi.ini file and let it recreate it, and now it seems to be working as follows (while over the clip pane) MOST OF THE TIME:
* Alt+wheel scrolls horiz
* wheel scrolls vert
* Adding Shift to either makes it "fast"
Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Wheel scroll zooms horizontally (although at times, it stops working, like it is hung, or missing mouse signal). I've verified that my wheel works perfectly in other apps, or Explorer windows, for example, so it isn't the mouse. It IS working much better than before, but there is still an issue somewhere. I may still log a ticket just to see if they can reproduce it anywhere.

The same scroll behavior works for the Console as well, if there are scroll bars present (except zoom, of course). I'll keep playing with it.

Thanks again.

Shane

I think I found the problem. The first time I opened the Mouse Wheel Zoom Options, X = 1.0 and Y=1.5 (I think). I played with those numbers a bit trying to get things to work. They've both been set to 1.0. I set them to 2.0 and things appear to work as expected and as described in the manual. If you set them to 1.0 or even 1.01, or something low, the zoom functionality starts acting weird.  The simultaneous H/V zoom is weird, but I think I can live with it with that box checked. The settings shown in the attached image seem to be working. I was so pleased how intuitive CW was to me, until I started trying to zoom things. Yikes.

Capture.PNG

• Like 2

Yeah, the documentation and actual behavior of wheel zooming don't always line up. I've brought it up in the past.

I was going to mention the Zoom Factor settings, as at one point I got into the same pickle you did. Glad you found them.

Also, in teh PRV don't expect everything mousewheel zoom to work as described. It doesn't. It's not that far off, but some things, like vertical zoom, just don't work as described in the documentation.

• Like 1

Ha Ha. Something to look forward too! It seems Cakewalk testers may not be challenging themselves enough. IDK, I tend to find obscure bugs of new SW I'm exploring right out of the gate. Being able to experience quite unexplainable behavior compared to documentation when a few values are non-default, versus default, when things work much as described, to me, at least (as an old SW engineer), points to a deficiency in testing. At least once you figure it out (or get help), you can sometimes work around it. Thanks for the heads-up.