Importing Marker Info fom Wave files

Shane Taylor

Question

Hi, new to Cakewalk. Have begun exploring and trying things out to see what's possible. I wanted to know (couldn't find it anywhere) if Cakewalk can import Marker information stored in WAV files and create Markers in the project from them. I do this in Reaper and Audition, and tried Drag/Drop and Import dialog, but neither bring in the markers that I know are there. I'm really hoping CW has that capability, which would be really helpful for post-production collaboration - actually, a necessity.

Does anybody know? Did I miss it somewhere?

Thanks.

9 answers to this question

Thanks Scook. I saw that, and it is checked in Prefs, but still no markers. I just tested the file again, importing it into Reaper, and the Cue Markers are there (the files were created in Audition, and are 32bit float PCM files.. I do not see any markers on the Clip nor or there any listed in the Markers dropdown in the Control Bar. Is there somewhere else I need to enable them or make them shown?

24 minutes ago, Shane Taylor said:

Is there somewhere else I need to enable them or make them shown?

Not that I know of.

I just checked tested with a wav adding markers in SoundForge.

Importing the file caused the markers to appear on the time line and in the marker view.

29 minutes ago, Shane Taylor said:

Thanks Scook. I saw that, and it is checked in Prefs, but still no markers. I just tested the file again, importing it into Reaper, and the Cue Markers are there (the files were created in Audition, and are 32bit float PCM files.. I do not see any markers on the Clip nor or there any listed in the Markers dropdown in the Control Bar. Is there somewhere else I need to enable them or make them shown?

As a test, I imported a WAV file with embedded Cue marker Created with Goldwave 6.36.  They were, indeed, imported into Cakewalk by Bandlab as markers.  I did not have to do anything special in Cakewalk by Bandlab other than make sure the setting was selected in preferences.

So, on my system (configured as per my signature.), the feature does work as intended.

The wave file I imported was 44.1 kHz 16 bits Stereo that had embbed cue markers.

There might be something about your wave file that Cakewalk is borking at.

Edited by Promidi

Is there any way either of you could post/send me a small file with markers that I could try on my setup? I'll also create a 16 bit 44.1kHz file in Auditoin with Markers and see if that will import. Maybe it's the 32 bit, although Reaper reads them OK. Thanks for the help.

OK, so I created 4 copies of the same file, a 32, 24, and 16 bit 48kHz files, and a 16bit 44.1kHz file and even though all four load into Reaper fine with markers intact, none of them load in CW with makers. Also, the files have regions defined too (spans of time) that come into Reaper as well. I don't see where CW has the capability to create/use lasting regions (just temporary Loop and Punch spans).

Well, this is disappointing. I've found that if I delete the regions defined in Audition and export the files (48kHz 32b), the Markers are imported by CW. However, the hey are all renamed to the filename and renumbered, becoming practically useless. This is either a bug, or deficiency in CW, or the Regions aren't a standard BWF marker format (although Reaper reads them both fine, and preserves the names as well). Bummer. I was really getting excited about Cakewalk.

The behaviour you are seeing is documented in the Cakewalk by Bandlab user guide (page 1688 of the latest pdf)  “Marker names are based on the imported file name, and are numbered sequentially”.

If you wish to put in a feature request that CUE markers retain their stored names themselves, you can do so here.

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/forum/8-feedback-loop/

Thanks for pointing that out. I will definitely add one. I honestly can't think of a situation where you would not want to retain the stored names.

EDIT: In case anyone else would like to chime in and comment on, or add to, this feature request, you can find it here:

Edited by Shane Taylor
Adding link to Feature Request