Midi Patterns - Cakewalk vs FL Studio

Gui Garibotti

1 hour ago, Gui Garibotti said:

In the "test2" pattern I am still seeing the notes from the "test1" pattern.

I can't speak FL Studio but maybe it would help to understand what you have from a CbB perspective.

The two images show two separate and independent MIDI clips in a parent track in the track and piano roll views respectively.

It looks like Show Clip Outlines is disabled in the PRV View menu so there is no indication in the PRV that the data are in two clips.

The only interaction between the two clips is that they are in the same track. Other than that, the two clips have nothing to do with each other. 

While all MIDI data is stored the projects, clips may be exported as standard MIDI files through either the menu options or dragging clips to Windows or the media browser. MIDI data may also be directly copied between projects.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scook said:

I can't speak FL Studio but maybe it would help to understand what you have from a CbB perspective.

The two images show two separate and independent MIDI clips in a parent track in the track and piano roll views respectively.

It looks like Show Clip Outlines is disabled in the PRV View menu so there is no indication in the PRV that the data are in two clips.

The only interaction between the two clips is that they are in the same track. Other than that, the two clips have nothing to do with each other. 

While all MIDI data is stored the projects, clips may be exported as standard MIDI files through either the menu options or dragging clips to Windows or the media browser. MIDI data may also be directly copied between projects.

I'm reading the documentation, but I still don't know how to safely change the notes of a midi pattern.

For example, in FL Studio I can change Pattern2 notes without running the risk of accidentally changing Pattern1 notes, they are independent.

Do you know how to display only the notes of the selected midi pattern in Cakewalk?

midiclipsFL.thumb.JPG.bc0b887ebc522ceac50391525fee8087.JPG

Edited by Gui Garibotti

20 minutes ago, Gui Garibotti said:

Do you know how to display only the notes of the selected midi pattern in Cakewalk?

There is only one MIDI editor that works with a single clip at a time, the Step Sequencer view.

All of the other MIDI editors display data at the track or entire project level.

If working with multiple clips in the PRV is troubling enable "Show Clip Outlines" in the PRV View menu.

If that is not enough, here are a couple of ways to see only one MIDI clip at a time on the same track in the same project:

• mute all clips in the track except the one to edit and set Hide Muted Clips in the PRV View menu
  • use the inline PRV and put each clip in its own take lane
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, scook said:

There is only one MIDI editor that works with a single clip at a time, the Step Sequencer view.

All of the other MIDI editors display data at the track or entire project level.

If working with multiple clips in the PRV is troubling enable "Show Clip Outlines" in the PRV View menu.

If that is not enough, here are a couple of ways to see only one MIDI clip at a time on the same track in the same project:

• mute all clips in the track except the one to edit and set Hide Muted Clips in the PRV View menu
  • use the inline PRV and put each clip in its own take lane

Thanks, I'll check.

41 minutes ago, Gui Garibotti said:

For example, in FL Studio I can change Pattern2 notes without running the risk of accidentally changing Pattern1 notes, they are independent.

In general the clip or note you are editing will be highlighted... If no other notes or clips are "highlighted" you are editing only those notes\clips... You always have the "undo" command when editing notes... And save your work often and there is also the auto save feature you can turn on...

There is a feature called "Linked Clips" that will apply the edits to all Clips that are linked... Linked clips are highlighted with a boarder around them... I always "color code" all my linked clips...

Cakewalk has a lot to offer if you want to take the time to learn how to use it... I've used FL Studio in the past, and have even used it as a plugin inside of Cakewalk... It has some nice features but doesn't come close to Cakewalk, IMHO...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SirWillyDS12 said:

There is a feature called "Linked Clips" that will apply the edits to all Clips that are linked... Linked clips are highlighted with a boarder around them... I always "color code" all my linked clips...

I tried this function and I liked it. Thanks.

3 hours ago, SirWillyDS12 said:

Cakewalk has a lot to offer if you want to take the time to learn how to use it... I've used FL Studio in the past, and have even used it as a plugin inside of Cakewalk... It has some nice features but doesn't come close to Cakewalk, IMHO...

FL Studio is cool for midi patterns, but FL uses a lot of CPU. Cakewalk uses less CPU, it's better to record and edit audio.