Imported track > Cakewalk

Ken Newton

Question

I recently recorded a piano track onto my iPad using BandLab.  I edited the track, dividing it into clips.  I then applied several plug in processes, EQ, compressor and reverb.  Some of the clips sound different than the other ones.  My question is: if a track (or a clip) is imported into Cakewalk, does it lose the previous attributes from the actual recording and gain all of the attributes which are applied on the CW track?  Thank you.

2 answers to this question

Cakewalk manipulates audio files during import by:

• Changing the file type - if the file is not a regular wav or 64bit wav, they file will be converted
  • Changing the sample rate - based on the sample rate of the project
  • Changing the bit depth - based on the Import Bit Depth setting in Preferences > File > Audio Data

If the clips are processed by another DAW, the clips must be printed to disk with the processing applied so that the importing DAW reflects the processing. 

I'm not well versed in Bandlab.

If it's possible to permanently apply FX to clips and tracks by bouncing or whatever, you'll need to do that before exporting them and importing to Cakewalk (assuming you want the FX on them). You don't say whether you're exporting clips or entire tracks, but exporting the entire tracks with FX applied would probably be the easiest. That is, if your editing is done.

Then of course you can apply whatever FX you like in Cakewalk, either track or clip.

Cakewalk is of course a more powerful tool for mixing, and I have plenty of excellent 3rd-party FX, so I'd be inclined to just export the tracks without FX and use the FX I have in Cakewalk.