Export UI Inconsistencies

Jezric

11 hours ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

Seems baltantly obvious to me. Where else did you think it would come from ?

I thought "Master Bus" was one possibility.

I was coming from Mixcraft, which doesn't have such a thing as "hardware outputs." Last stop on the line is a stereo "Master Track" that has the same function as Cakewalk's Hardware Outs. It also has both "submix" and "send" tracks. So with Mixcraft, it doesn't really matter so much; there's only one place it can be taken from, and selection only matters as far as time selection, not track selection. If you don't want a track in the mix, you mute it.

I had to learn new techniques, which is all in the game when learning a new DAW, it just seemed as if it took me an inordinate amount of time and effort. But that was then and we now have a dialog box that I think spells out better just what's going on. So does the documentation.

I like Cakewalk's more flexible mixer, but would most definitely be fine with clip or track selection not hijacking the whole Export. In my mind, that's what mute buttons are for, but I'm not going to suggest any changes be made in function. This DAW exports whatever you have selected, unless that's nothing, in which case it exports everything.

(It's fun to imagine Nigel Tufnel explaining that to Marty DiBergi: "Why not just mute the channels you don't want to hear, like with a hardware mixer?"....pause...."This DAW....")

What we have now is fine, I have my Select None button and I check it before and after and when I get a bounce with all intended tracks the first time, it's a pleasant little surprise, kind of like building a new computer and having it boot cleanly right off.

i have a MASTER - which i run the C4 MB compressor to set of general overall mix level and via pre-fader sends to a PRINT buss (which is the no hardware output buss i use to export a stereo file), and MST-12 buss (which is set to -12 on its fader) to quickly switch between normal volume and low volume without changing faders. for surround i replace those with surround busses and some of the submix and reverb busses also (this is a separate template based on my generic mix template).