Recording Cakewalk with Screenpresso - Error msg

Sven

I've been trying to record Cakewalk using this program and keep getting error messages while recording or when I try to save.  I've got the audio device for both Cakewalk and Screenpresso set to my PreSonus Audiobox USB 96.   I want Screenpresso to record the screen while I output to that device from Cakewalk.

I've noticed in the past that I can't use the PreSonus for Chrome audio output while Cakewalk is open.  Does Cakewalk lock down that device preventing all other apps from accessing it until you exit Cakewalk?

Screenpresso tech support suggested I update to their latest version which I did but I still get the error message.  Is their an easy solution to this or can anyone recommend another app that can record Cakewalk 'live' with the PreSonus audio output and save it to an .mp4 file?

Thanks.

If you're doing screen recording, the easiest way is to set Cakewalk to use WASAPI Shared.  That way all applications can share the audio device.

You also want to make sure that "Suspend Audio Engine When Cakewalk Is Not in Focus" is unchecked.

Both of these can be set within Preferences->Audio->Playback and Recording.

Personally however, I find it easier to use a small hardware mixer and set the screen recording software to use the internal sound card.

Something like this is ideal to capture the output of my audio interface and a microphone, and route it back to my on-board audio device:

image.thumb.png.476a6132deeaa818cd0b822ac48ffe12.png
The one I have is similar to this, but it also has phantom power for the mic.

Thanks once again msmcleod,

You're a great resource!

Changing the audio setting to this  WASAPI Shared seems to have fixed the problem.  The checkbox you mentioned was already unchecked.  I usually have my sound card set to ASIO.  Should I change it back to that setting when I'm not recording the screen?  Is there any difference in sound quality between the two settings?  I'm about to mix down my new CD and don't want to mess up my settings just to be able to record the screen.

I'll also look into getting a small hardware mixer.

Thanks.

7 hours ago, Sven said:

Thanks once again msmcleod,

You're a great resource!

Changing the audio setting to this  WASAPI Shared seems to have fixed the problem.  The checkbox you mentioned was already unchecked.  I usually have my sound card set to ASIO.  Should I change it back to that setting when I'm not recording the screen?  Is there any difference in sound quality between the two settings?  I'm about to mix down my new CD and don't want to mess up my settings just to be able to record the screen.

I'll also look into getting a small hardware mixer.

Thanks.

Yeah, I'd change it back to ASIO for normal use.

There's no difference in sound quality, but the latency is much higher when using WASAPI Shared.

BTW - this is the mixer I use for screen capturing with Cakewalk running:  https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_t_mix_mix_502.htm

It looks like this is actually cheaper than the Behringer and has the benefit of having phantom power.