New Korg M1 vst3 crashes every project

1 minute ago, TVR PRODUCTIONS said:

on a side not, is freezing a track essentially the same as exporting a track to a wave audio file?  Just wondering.  I never freeze midi tracks because there are times I want to manipulate some notes at the very end, right before mixing. 

Freezing bounces the instrument track to audio in the existing track, and puts the instrument offline all in one step. You will need to un-freeze it if you wish to access the MIDI for any further editing, then re-freeze the track after the edit. Freeze/un-freeze is a fairly quick process. But it will bake any preset and/or effects you were using at the time of the freeze into the audio track.

14 minutes ago, TVR PRODUCTIONS said:

But if you are saying that the midi notes will return but not the patches, that won’t really work for me.  There are over 1000 patches and I really cannot begin searching all of them to figure out what I chose three years ago.  That is one hairy workaround.  Wouldn’t be so bad if I had one or two projects but it’s probably more than twenty.  Thanks for the suggestion.  Too bad the m1 plug-in just cannot work like it is supposed to.  

I don't quite understand why the old projects won't open correctly after you rolled back to your original M1.dll VST2? That one wasn't broken because it worked when you created the projects.

25 minutes ago, TVR PRODUCTIONS said:

That was pretty much what I said in my post other than copying the folder to the newer project. But if you are saying that the midi notes will return but not the patches, that won’t really work for me.  

Yeah, I was just clarifying what was said before since people asked about it - you definitely got the idea in your other post. :)

8 minutes ago, abacab said:

I don't quite understand why the old projects won't open correctly after you rolled back to your original M1.dll VST2? That one wasn't broken because it worked when you created the projects.

Yeah, THIS is an interesting point.

Have you sent the crash dump off to anyone yet? It'd be interesting to see if they could work out where in the plugin its crashing.

Edited by Lord Tim

22 minutes ago, abacab said:

@TVR PRODUCTIONSAfter giving this issue another minute of consideration, I have another question...

When you rolled it back, did you run the old full M1 installer, or just copy the old ".dll" file over the newer one?

Edited by abacab

This might also be because the "1000" custom presets you have collected over the years, are not compatible with the vst3 version. 

I had a similar issue with another plugin recently with its update. 

Normally before i contact the manufacturer I troubleshoot things myself - especially with custom presets found online or that was sent to me. I do this for reasons such as in discussion. 

Reason: What experience have thought me: Most composers and mixing engineers I work with "professionally" abroad with my travels - you still get people that uses that exact same version in plugin they've bought 10 years ago. So the present you have received was made in an outdated version of what you have. 

Case in point:

I had recently went to Holland to collab on an album and this guy were still using Protools 10 with Waves V9 plugins. After some debate between me and him, he finally cracked and allowed me to update Protools and most of the plugins he uses daily. The guy had been paying every month, but refused to update his stuff - all because of the "If its not broken, why fix it" mentally and this guy works with legends in the industry. 

Anyway. What if trying to say is, there might be a favorite preset you used in most of these projects that were still created in a 32bit environment or a really old version of M1 | OR | the reason might also be, because you had a "Patch" and not the full .exe to update the registery for these custom presets as well. What ever the case might be: Its best to send CbB developers a copy of your a problem including a crash dump and ask Korg to send a complete update install of the Korg M1 to you. 

Edited by Will.

On 8/28/2022 at 5:23 PM, TVR PRODUCTIONS said:

M1.dll is the new one that Korg overwrote the old one with.

@Will.From the OP ^^^

And the Cakewalk crash report clearly shows the failed plugin as "M1.dll", not "M1.vst3. 😉

I think any confusion may have come about when the OP referenced the release of M1 that added the VST3, not that he was actually using that format. I assume that update is when his VST2 messed up as they overwrote his existing VST2 "M1.dll" with the newer version.

Version 2.3.0
    [PC/Mac] VST3 format support

Edited by abacab

44 minutes ago, abacab said:

@Will.From the OP ^^^

And the Cakewalk crash report clearly shows the failed plugin as "M1.dll", not "M1.vst3. 😉

I think any confusion may have come about when the OP referenced the release of M1 that added the VST3, not that he was actually using that format. I assume that update is when his VST2 messed up as they overwrote his existing VST2 "M1.dll" with the newer version.

Version 2.3.0
    [PC/Mac] VST3 format support

Again: I think you need to re-read the  OP and my reply word-per-word and letter-per-letter. 👍🏽

Edited by Will.

30 minutes ago, Will. said:

Again: I think you need to re-read the  OP and my reply word-per-word and letter-per-letter. 👍🏽

I have no idea what you are going on about. I read everything. Please stop being condescending by implying that I have not read the posts.

28 minutes ago, abacab said:

I'm not the one with the problem, was just trying to help the OP. 

There's your problem. You're Assuming i think you are the one with the M1 problem and that's the reason why you're in your feels over nothing. 

Cause he made it extremely clear: 

"It was suggested that I contact Korg and let them know that something broke when they changed from vst2 to vst3."

Edited by Will.

32 minutes ago, Will. said:

Cause he made it extremely clear: 

"It was suggested that I contact Korg and let them know that something broke when they changed from vst2 to vst3."

True statement. I guess you didn't read the OP word-for-word yourself, because you missed that he is using the VST2.

Edited by abacab

16 minutes ago, abacab said:

True statement. I guess you didn't read the OP word-for-word yourself, because you missed that he is using the VST2.

I guess you didn't read where he said they sent him the UPDATE - meaning the VST3 version.

He is yet to download the Vst2 version. I guess you missed reading that word-per-word, right?

Probably time to up your reading prescription then. Good luck. 🙂

Edited by Will.

48 minutes ago, Will. said:

I guess you didn't read where he said they sent him the UPDATE - meaning the VST3 version.

He is yet to download the Vst2 version. I guess you missed reading that word-per-word, right?

Probably time to up your reading prescription then. Good luck. 🙂

Go back and look at the picture of the crash log. His issue is clearly with the VST2.

And please don't reply to me any further. I'm done here.

Edited by abacab

On 9/5/2022 at 9:27 AM, abacab said:

He said he was using the ".dll" which implies it was the VST2.

My original crash was caused because I updated to the most recent M1 upgrade that was supposedly fixed so that it would remember the settings and patches. This was done in June or July.  Either way, the crash was caused by M1.dll. Are you saying that is the older vst2?  Korg support tech asked to verify if the plugin path is Program Files/Common Files/VST3?  The only file in that path is C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\KORG\M1.dll.

So, Korg is telling me that M1.dll is what belongs in the VST3 folder.  But i am confused because you are saying that if it is a .dll file, it must be a vst2.  I think I should just break out my old Tascan Neo 24 digital recorder.  I have never had vst issues before and this one is a real problem.

SO, after all of this, here is my question. After updating to the latest vst3, should my older projects all crash that were created with the vst2 version?  In my mind, I would think they would open as usual (if the old vst2 is still there) and I would have the option "replace vst instrument) and choose the newer m1 vst. But if it crashes instantly, that cannot be done.  I can hold shift down and say NO to all the M1 instances.  At that point, shouldn't I be able to replace the old M1 with the new? That seems logical to me. I would be able to replace it with any other vst instrument so why not the new M1?  Will I lose the actual patch?  That would be a problem.

My biggest question is if everyone else is going through this very thing?  It should behave the same on everyone's computer since it is the same file.  Thanks to everyone who is chiming in to assist.  It sounds like there are some crazy workarounds to get it to work but I don't think it should be that complicated.  Korg has been no help. They just said the following but that doesn't fix their new vst3

f you revert to an older version, moving the location of the dll will prevent it from starting properly.
In this case you must specify the default VST2 folder. Reinstall the old version and make the folder path the default VST2 path.

On 9/4/2022 at 11:44 AM, abacab said:

@TVR PRODUCTIONSAfter giving this issue another minute of consideration, I have another question...

When you rolled it back, did you run the old full M1 installer, or just copy the old ".dll" file over the newer one?

I have done so many things, I cannot remember at this point. I absolutely never copied a file. I just leave the files where the installer places them.

I just uninstalled everything. I then reinstalled my original m1.  Old projects work. I then  installed the new one so it is all fresh.  Crash is back. The crash is still pointing to M1.dll, which, according to some, is a vst2. But Korg support themselves say this is what I should be using.  Since I just installed the latest June release of M1, wwhat file should be on my computer and where should it be located? 

I  have not submitted the error log because I do not know where to do that. Last time I tried, it would not let me send a file larger than 2Mb or something like this. 

Edited by TVR PRODUCTIONS
  • Like 1