(Not a deal) Audacity 64-bit slow start up

marcL

To check whether an audio file from an export is okay I used Audacity 32-bit for a long time. Also for quick visualization of plugin results. When there came out a 64-bit version, first I was delighted, but after some tests I was really disappointed, because the start up is soooo slooow!

Finally I have found out what caused this! I mean I don't know the real technical issue, but I found out how I can avoid it. I always defined a lot of plugins in Audacity and that's why I configured to sort them by providers. In the older 32-bit versions this was no problem, Audacity started fast to open any audio file. But with the 64-bit versions the provider sorting is a real performance issue on the start up if you have quite some plugins!

Again, this shows that newer is not always better! 😄

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, marled said:

Finally I have found out what caused this! I mean I don't know the real technical issue, but I found out how I can avoid it. I always defined a lot of plugins in Audacity and that's why I configured to sort them by providers. In the older 32-bit versions this was no problem, Audacity started fast to open any audio file. But with the 64-bit versions the provider sorting is a real performance issue on the start up if you have quite some plugins!

Try reporting this as an issue on their GitHub page - they can't fix the issue if they don't know about it

https://github.com/audacity/audacity

• Great Idea 1