Convert midi track to soft synth?

Fred Kells

Is it not possible to convert a midi track to a soft synth track (retaining the midi data)?

I often compose in a notation program, export it as a .mid file, and import into Cakewalk. As expected, I get a separate midi track for each original track in the notation program. So far, so good. But I want to play each of those tracks thru a soft synth; to do so, I have to add a Soft Synth track, then copy/paste the data from the midi track into it. When I have lots of tracks, this gets tedious. Isn't there a way to simply convert or replace the midi track with a soft synth track?

Many thanks!

First start by opening the MIDI file (File > Open) instead of importing.

As long as there is no MIDI output device specified in preferences, opening a file will add TTS-1 to the project.  At this point the project is ready to go with a synth already setup in the project. Then swap out the synth for any or all of the MIDI tracks by adding additional synth plug-ins and audio tracks. This is discussed in detail in this thread:

Also importing MIDI data into an existing file will strip certain data from the file, such as tempo.

Open is intended for full performances. Import is intended for clips.

When opening a MIDI file make sure to save as a Cakewalk project or all the non-MIDI data such as plug-in assignments will be lost. 

This one is about Importing a midi file into Cakewalk but it's title should be " How to OPEN a Midi file" 

How to Import a Midi file into Cakewalk and play it with TTS-1 -   https://youtu.be/lKDfq-hTb7U 

You can then simply change the midi tracks to Instrument tracks of your choice. 

Here is the rest of my tutorials and Tutorials # 12,  13 & 14  also go into details of managing Midi tracks.  

Edited by John Vere
Update links

43 minutes ago, bdickens said:

Sometimes you just have to put a little bit of work into something....

Yes this is totally true. And the more knowledge you have of the software the easier this becomes. I can work 10 x faster in Cakewalk than I did only 4 years ago. Simply because I decided to try and learn how it works from the ground up instead of my original method of blindly pushing buttons and doing things the same way for 20 years. It does take time but it's time well spent. I even watch the first few videos I made and see things I have improved upon since I made them last fall. You never stop learning when it comes to software and music and video.