Scaler 2 experiences anyone?

Billy86

Thinking of diving into this.  Any use experiences shared would be appreciated. Particularly, my main use would be to generate MIDI performances for third party VSTi’s. Particularly for orchestral instruments or synthesizers.  Thanks!

It seems like it should be good, but I haven't used it much because the constant UI crashing that I get in CW gets old pretty quickly. Others here that don't use CW seem to rate it. IIRC there is a demo version available.

Quite the learning curve to get the best from it but worth it I think, lots of helpful videos on YT. Onboard sounds are OK, routing it to your favourite VSTs can really make it shine.

Folks say it can improve your knowledge of music theory too.

For the price I paid, I rate it as one of my better investments. Try the demo and see what you think.

I use it in CbB - no stability concerns.

Andy

• Like 1

On 7/2/2022 at 12:22 PM, AndyB01 said:

Quite the learning curve to get the best from it but worth it I think, lots of helpful videos on YT. Onboard sounds are OK, routing it to your favourite VSTs can really make it shine.

Folks say it can improve your knowledge of music theory too.

For the price I paid, I rate it as one of my better investments. Try the demo and see what you think.

I use it in CbB - no stability concerns.

Andy

Hi Andy... picked up the demo. Yes, quite a learning curve but very full-featured for the lane it's in. One of the "features" is that many of the internal instruments are drenched in reverb. I haven't seen in the manual or any tutorials if it's possible to control that. Do you know if it's possible? Thanks.

@Billy86 Not sure about that - I haven't seen any internal reverb controls within the VST - so I doubt you can tweak them (but I could be wrong). TBH I rarely, if ever, use the internal sounds for a final mix, I only use them for generating ideas and then I route through a more favoured VST.

Andy

• Thanks 1

Thanks @AndyB01. One other major thing (for the way I work) I haven't been able to figure out from the manual or YT vids (if it's even possible).

It would be really helpful if there was/is way to have the  multiple 8-step patterns you can create play seamlessly from start to finish. For example I have a verse section followed a chorus section, followed by a bridge, etc. Each has its own chord pattern.  I can see them all in Pad view, but they only play one at a time, and when it gets to the end of the pattern it stops. Is there a way you know to have it continue on to the next pattern, then the next, etc.?

Thanks very much for your help. 

Ah, now that I can help with (I think) - it had me beat for ages. In pad view either use Ctrl-click to select multiple patterns or just lasso around all the patterns you want to play and - there you go.

Also, if you lasso all the chords in your pattern you can drag and drop the lot into a right into MIDI track and a VST of your choice (if you prefer that to using routing).

At least that's how I do it

A

Edited by AndyB01
  • Thanks 1

On 7/8/2022 at 12:40 PM, AndyB01 said:

Ah, now that I can help with (I think) - it had me beat for ages. In pad view either use Ctrl-click to select multiple patterns or just lasso around all the patterns you want to play and - there you go.

Also, if you lasso all the chords in your pattern you can drag and drop the lot into a right into MIDI track and a VST of your choice (if you prefer that to using routing).

At least that's how I do it

A

Thanks!