No sound during MIDI recording of a track - but does on playback

Robert Glaser

It's possible a project or template has somehow become corrupted in a way that's not visible from the UI. Rebuilding templates from scratch periodically is not a bad idea though I understand it could be a big (and error-prone) task in this case. Sometimes a project can be fixed just by rebuilding individual tracks and their routing. Even if it's a visible misconfiguration that you're just not seeing. sometimes rebuilding a track is the easiest solution.

I currently have bugs* in with the support group. In the meantime (and in my spare time) I'm going to try the ever so tedious process of rebuilding the template(s). This time, however, I'm going to stop periodically and save versions and test to ensure that I'm not doing this as a pointless exercise since I've got some files with no problems and a couple with these specific problems that all came from the same templates.  

Ideally, this could be another opportunity to refine the templates.

*Separate issue with many files is the random an undeletable appearance of pairs of Edit Filters in the lower part of the Scale pane at the bottom of the Piano Roll view. These Filters have no associated Events.

When working on large orchestral setups, they save a lot of time. The issue is that they also take a lot of time to setup and design because there are a lot of instruments, and tracks for all of the instruments and all of their variations, as well as layouts. Not to mention the console setup with all of the appropriate buses, organization (send, rudimentary effects and so on), gain staging, etc.
A good template is part of good planning when you're looking at large projects (or even small but complex ones.)

I figure about 8-10 hours for one good orchestral setup.

If you're setting up for a band of 4 players and 4 singers, it's a lot less time.

• 1 year later...

I had a similar problem with being unable to hear the existing MIDI on a channel I was recording (overdubbing) to. I fixed it by opening Preferences/Project/Record and changing the Recording Mode from Comping to Sound on Sound.

Hope this helps someone.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/10/2023 at 1:07 PM, Alcatrax said:

I had a similar problem with being unable to hear the existing MIDI on a channel I was recording (overdubbing) to. I fixed it by opening Preferences/Project/Record and changing the Recording Mode from Comping to Sound on Sound.

Hope this helps someone.

It only seems to affect some VSTi's? In my case TTS-1. Haven't noticed it on any other VSTi's.
Thanks a lot! 👍It was driving me nuts! 😂

Edited by Pelle Andersson
Clearification