MIDI related confusion

Josh Z

Hi,

I'm a new user, and new to creating MIDI files in general.

I just spent a grueling couple of days putting together a very complex MIDI in piano roll, but I am now frustrated because of the export process. 

Whenever I try to export the project as a MIDI, the resulting file plays unusually slowly and sounds like it's in a lower register than it should be. I have tried to open it in a few different applications, with the same results. I did recently transpose the file up an octave...but it seems to have worked in the project itself, as well as when I export as an audio file. For some reason, though, it sounds slow as a MIDI, which I doubt has anything to do with the transposing given that that wouldn't explain the slowness factor.

It's also weird, but the audio for the file even in the project sounds really muddy and sort of muted, or far away. At first, it sounded very resonant and full, but something happened at some point in the process, and now it's like... it's not in stereo anymore? I have no idea what I did,  or how to fix it.

One of the reasons I wanted to export as a MIDI was to import it into another program (MuseScore) in order to have the sheet music. But I also thought that if I re-exported using the MuseScore MIDI program I might improve the sound, since it worked like that a few days ago. 

What should I do to get a clean MIDI sound again in the right key and tempo? 

Also... is there a way I can set the program to give me a list of the chords I have used, that is...the chord names themselves? I cobbled many of them together from scratch and was wondering if this was a feature.

Thanks!

13 hours ago, Josh Z said:

in order to have the sheet music

Cakewalk has a staff view, although I'm told it's rudimentary. I don't read music, so it looks fine to me.😁

13 hours ago, Josh Z said:

is there a way I can set the program to give me a list of the chords I have used, that is...the chord names themselves? I cobbled many of them together from scratch and was wondering if this was a feature.

I don't think so, but I have Cakewalk's Chord Analyzer which makes a guess as to what chord is playing. I may have it from an earlier version of Cakewalk (SONAR? Music Creator?) so you may not have it.
Welcome to the forum.

chordanalyzera.jpg