How to change tempo in middle of song?

saxon1066

Hello!  I've been using Cakewalk since it was Sonar 2.2, but I never figured this out--probably because I didn't need it too often.

I would like to change tempo in a section in the middle of a song without affecting the tempos around that section.  I was hoping it was as easy as selecting the region in the time ruler, then inserting a new tempo, but that doesn't seem to work--it affects the rest of the song.

Is there a way do change tempo only for a middle section?

Thanks!!

Edited by saxon1066

6 hours ago, saxon1066 said:

I was hoping it was as easy as selecting the region in the time ruler, then inserting a new tempo,

You need a new tempo twice; once to change it to your desired tempo and another to change it back to the original speed.
Project>Insert Tempo Change.

31 minutes ago, 57Gregy said:

You need a new tempo twice; once to change it to your desired tempo and another to change it back to the original speed.

Thanks, guys.  The problem is that I have multiple tempo changes--like 9 changes--throughout the tune, and I may only want a temporary change in say the third and sixth tempos--so I can add drum parts at a slower speed before returning to a faster tempo.  So, I'm going to have to be doing a bunch of tempo changes just to temporarily do changes in two of nine sections.

It would be nice just to select a region and change only that region.  Cakewalk!  New feature!!!!

1 hour ago, 57Gregy said:

Thanks, guys.  The problem is that I have multiple tempo changes--like 9 changes--throughout the tune, and I may only want a temporary change in say the third and sixth tempos--so I can add drum parts at a slower speed before returning to a faster tempo.  So, I'm going to have to be doing a bunch of tempo changes just to temporarily do changes in two of nine sections.

It would be nice just to select a region and change only that region.  Cakewalk!  New feature!!!!

Just discovered the Tempo Track.  Didn't know it existed!  Looks very promising for the very task I want to do.  Need to learn how to use it.  You can just drag particular sections up and down to change tempos.  The transitional curves look cool, too!