Edit - Undo says action not what I did

treesha

Question

Like just now, I did a gain increase I wanted to undo, and when I went to edit-undo, it said I could undo moving a marker I think it was. Anyone else have this? For me it's longstanding but I never asked about it before. I'm currently on 4.21 but it predates this and other installs for me. 

4 answers to this question

thanks ! i will pay attention to if it happens with other changes besides gain and volume ? I haven't used revert, news to me. BTW when I say gain, i mean destructive gain, process - apply effect -  gain menu, not the gain fader. But in the example above, I had not moved any markers to edit - undo. 

That’s odd for sure. Did you try going back past that undo? 
What I recommend is only apply destructive effects to a copy of the original track. 
If a whole track is quiet then you can use the gain control 

If it’s only a clip in the track then try clip gain. 
Both of these are limited in how much you can apply.
If so then I use Normalization because I can set the  limit to match the other clips. As well as if there’s a bunch of quiet clips and each is a little different then this speed things up. I set up a hot key for this. 

• Like 1

I will be paying more attention to this now, seems it is not common at all. Thanks for the editing tips too. I also have melodyne studio which has the nice make loud notes quieter / make low notes louder feature that i think is great. I overdo saving copies of projects until the song is done so yes I do have copies of things I might occasionally destructively edit but a good point for those who don’t. 

• Like 1